cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN across two 4948 switches

rgoddard
Level 1
Level 1

Have 2 4948 switches - one active with a single default vlan connecting several digital headend devices within the same subnet; the second is out of the box, unused.

I want to "stack" the two switches (they are not physically "stackable") in effect run the single subnet across both switches.

As I've got the default vlan on the active switch assigned an IP within the headend subnet, what is the best recommendation to "join" the second switch into this subnet/vlan?  Apologies, L2 switching is not my strong suit.

Appreciate any info.

3 Replies 3

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

rgoddard@mpw.org

Have 2 4948 switches - one active with a single default vlan connecting several digital headend devices within the same subnet; the second is out of the box, unused.

I want to "stack" the two switches (they are not physically "stackable") in effect run the single subnet across both switches.

As I've got the default vlan on the active switch assigned an IP within the headend subnet, what is the best recommendation to "join" the second switch into this subnet/vlan?  Apologies, L2 switching is not my strong suit.

Appreciate any info.

If you simply want to have the second switch in the same vlan and have the active switch the only one with the IP address then simply connect the switches with a crossover cable or fibre cable depending which port you use and configure the ports on both switches to be in that vlan ie. if vlan is vlan 10 -

int gi0/1

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan 10

on both switches. That's all you need to do.

Jon

Thanks Jon.

Appreciate the quick reply.

Overthinking it I suppose.

No problem. sometimes we all tend to overcomplicate it

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card