cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

vlan and trunking question

patil_pritam
Level 1
Level 1

i have one access switch (2960)which is connected to core switch(4506)and trunk is enabled on both the switches for connected ports, if i will remove the trunk command from my access switch and i'll put access switch connected port on core switch in vlan10, will i be able to access vlan 10 from my access switch?

3 Replies 3

lamav
Level 8
Level 8

patil:

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking. But let me give you this general information and hope that it helps you.

Configuring a switch port as a VLAN access port:

interface fa2/4

switchport

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan 10

Configuring a switch port as a trunk port:

interface fa2/4

switchport

switchport mode trunk

switchport trunk encapasulation [dot1q | isl]

HTH

Victor

Pritam

If I understand your post correctly you currently have an access switch connected to a core switch. As of now both switches are configured to treat the connection as a trunk. I believe your question is that if you change the configuration and both the access switch and the core switch treat the connection as an access port, and if the core switch has assigned that access port connected to the access switch as being in VLAN 10 could the access switch then access VLAN 10. The answer to that question is yes. If it is an access port in the core switch then the switch connecting to that access port will be operating in VLAN 10.

If I have not understood some part then please clarify.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Rick,

I understand his post this way, but I may have mistaken:

He wants to connect the access port (trunk config removed) of the access switch to the trunk port of the core switch (trunk config still alive for vlan 10).

If this is the situation, vlan10 on the core switch trunk port may be selected as native vlan with dot1q encapsulation.

This way the untagged frames from the access switch port will be interpreted as they are in native vlan 10, and it will work.

Cheers

Istvan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card