Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN and VSS configuration

ankitja999
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I want to configure VLAN and VSS in a network with 8 switches 4900M.

1. Does VLAN and VSS depends on each other?

2. Can I configure VLAN first?

3. can you provide me the documentation for the configuration of VLAn and VSS.

Thanking you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

For question-1 You need to configure VSS before you do any other config on the switches.

For Question-2 VSS can only be configured on 2 switches.

HTH

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Configuring vlans on VSS is the same as configuring vlans on any other switch.  You just need to the proper port numbering to your vlans.

What are you trying to do and what is the issue?

HTH

HI,

Thanks for the replying, I got your point.

Actually I have 8 switches 4900M.

in all switches I have to configure VLAN and VSS, I know about VLAN but I am not getting how to configure VSS and what is the purpose of this.

Please confirm me 2 things.

1. Can I configure VLAN first in all the switches and in future any time I can configure VSS.

2. VSS should be configured only in 2 switches.

Hi,

For question-1 You need to configure VSS before you do any other config on the switches.

For Question-2 VSS can only be configured on 2 switches.

HTH

Thanks both of you. That was really helpful for me.

I have one more doubt.

I have to create approx 24 vlan in all switches and every valn member contain a different network IP means Vlan 10 range is 10.20.1.0/24 and vlan 11 range is 10.20.2.0/24 in this case I have to use inter vlan concept ?

if yes then I am using L3 switch so what I have to configure on that.

You are already using layer 3 switch.. Hence just enable the routing and configure the later 3vlan please find configuration for the same in the below link:-

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/lan-switching/inter-vlan-routing/41860-howto-L3-intervlanrouting.html

Hth

Regards

Inayath

***please rate if thus info is helpful.

Please find the link below on VSS Setup and configuration...rest Reza already answered:-

https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/124626/virtual-switching-system-vss-configuration-cisco-4500-series-switches#comment-16116

Hth

Inayath*****please rate the usefull posts...

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card