Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN issue on 3750 switches

whiteford
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Strange one here, I have 2 x 3750G switches which connect to our Nortel core switches. The trunk is setup as an Etherchannel, I have 2 ports in each etherchannel goign to the Nortel switches.

(I can add a diagram if required)

On these 3750's is our Exchange 2007 email system and I use Solarwinds Orion tools to monitor these Exchaneg servers and email me if anything goings down.

I am using 3 VLAN's on the 3750's and Solarwinds happy ping sthe servers and I get no issues at all. The problem I am getting is pinging the VLAN's on these 3750's (basically their default gateways), throughout the day I will get email alerts saying VLAN 10 is down then up, then later VLAN 20 is down then up, this can take only 30 seconds, but they never go down at the same time and it might only be one 3750 switch for that day, the other will be fine.

I'm just not sure where to start as the Exchaneg system is fine, but it just concerns me.

Is it the Nortel's or the trunk?

Thanks

16 Replies 16

smothuku
Level 7
Level 7

Hi ,

If logging is enabled on your switches you can the logs using show log on 3750 switches.

Are you seeing any interface flops in logs..

Thanks

satish

On both all I have is this, do I ned to change the logging level if so how?

Syslog logging: enabled (0 messages dropped, 1 messages rate-limited, 0 flushes, 0 overruns, xml disabled, filtering disabled)

Console logging: level debugging, 2704 messages logged, xml disabled,

filtering disabled

Monitor logging: level debugging, 1 messages logged, xml disabled,

filtering disabled

Buffer logging: level notifications, 47 messages logged, xml disabled,

filtering disabled

Exception Logging: size (4096 bytes)

Count and timestamp logging messages: disabled

File logging: disabled

Trap logging: level notifications, 2707 message lines logged

Logging to 192.168.21.19, 1400 message lines logged, xml disabled,

filtering disabled

Log Buffer (8192 bytes):

14w6d: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from console by vty0 (192.168.7.12)

15w0d: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface GigabitEthernet1/0/10, changed state to down

15w0d: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface GigabitEthernet1/0/19, changed state to down

15w0d: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface GigabitEthernet1/0/10, changed state to down

15w0d: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface GigabitEthernet1/0/19, changed state to down

15w0d: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface GigabitEthernet1/0/10, changed state to up

15w0d: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface GigabitEthernet1/0/19, changed state to up

15w0d: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface GigabitEthernet1/0/10, changed state to up

15w0d: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface GigabitEthernet1/0/19, changed state to up

15w0d: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface GigabitEthernet1/0/10, changed state to down

15w0d: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface GigabitEthernet1/0/10, changed state to down

15w0d: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface GigabitEthernet1/0/10, changed state to up

15w0d: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface GigabitEthernet1/0/10, changed state to up

15w0d: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface GigabitEthernet1/0/19, changed state to down

3750-B#

We can see the interface flap is happening...

Can paste the config...

Thanks,

Satish

These are 15w0d old though, not recent and are just cables put into port 10 and 19.

Hi ,

Clear the logs and check the logs at the end of the day..after getting mail alerts...

Thanks,

Satish

Is my logging levels ok to capture this?

sh run | include logging

logging buffered 8192 notifications

logging enable

logging size 200

logging trap notifications

logging facility local4

logging source-interface Vlan1028

logging 192.168.2.9

I would make your logging buffer size a lot bigger . the default does not give you many messages before it overwrites itself , I would make it like 100K .

Thanks, all done.

Should I be seeing anything using "terminal monitor" via telnet if my config is:

logging buffered 100000 notifications

or

logging buffered 100000 debug

logging trap debug

I added these lines, but see nothing

Hi. No, they happened 15w0d after last reload of the switch...

Oen reason why the Cisco default of "srvice timestamp log uptime" is annoying.

Always as a best practice user "service timestamp debug/log datetime msec" and if possible NTP in order to have useful time stamping of what goes on in your network.

Thanks, I have done this, do I need to change these settings to debug?

Hi:

Its hard to say what is wrong. I doubt there is any issue with the Nortel switch or the trunk.

For starters, why dont you configure more granular logging.

service timestamps debug datetime localtime

service timestamps log datetime localtime

Clear the log and lets see what kind of error messages pop up.

HTH

Victor

Hi,

I have changed a few settings, this what I have, do I need to change my trap and buffer to debug?

sh run | inc logg

logging enable

logging size 200

logging facility local4

logging source-interface Vlan1028

logging 192.168.2.9

If you want to see the debug in the logs then yes change it to logging buffered debugging .

Hi,

Well after a few days the vlans are still going up and down, but the "sh log" only shows my logins, does this mean the switches are fine? Maybe it is the opposite end of the trunk that is the issue, the Cisco's have a trunk to a Nortel core switch.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco