Level 1
Level 1

How do i can create a VLAN native ? 

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hulk8647
Level 1
Level 1

You configure a native vlan at the time of configuring your trunk interface. Under the interface config:

interface fa0/1

switchport mode trunk

switchport trunk native vlan 100

The above makes vlan 100 a native vlan

View solution in original post

luis_cordova
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @eduangelo,

Adding to what indicated by @Hulk8647, the native vlan must be the same on both sides of the trunk link, otherwise there may be communication problems between vlans and if you use STP you can even generate loops.

Regards

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Hulk8647
Level 1
Level 1

You configure a native vlan at the time of configuring your trunk interface. Under the interface config:

interface fa0/1

switchport mode trunk

switchport trunk native vlan 100

The above makes vlan 100 a native vlan

luis_cordova
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @eduangelo,

Adding to what indicated by @Hulk8647, the native vlan must be the same on both sides of the trunk link, otherwise there may be communication problems between vlans and if you use STP you can even generate loops.

Regards

Oh, and to add to what the other posters have already noted, by default, VLAN 1 is the native VLAN. The shown command allows you to designate a different VLAN to be the native VLAN.

Another factoid, other network equipment vendors' trunks might not support sending untagged frames.

Then the vlan 1, let to be vlan native ?

Depends on what your needs are.

If you have a need for untagged frames, and you don't want to use the default of VLAN 1, then you have the option to change it.

BTW, Cisco uses VLAN 1 for certain "management" stuff (like [?] CDP, BPDU, VTP, DTP, etc.).

You might find this posting interesting: https://community.cisco.com/t5/switching/native-vlan-vs-trunk-vs-default-vlan-understanding/td-p/2673255

I need to set a vlan native for management .

Management devices will use a trunk link, which will also comprise tagged VLANs? Sounds unusual.

I need a Vlan native for management at the switch.

How do i create ? 

Hi @eduangelo,

The administration vlan is used to access the switch via IP, either by Telnet or SSH.
This vlan should not necessarily be the same native vlan, it is more, I recommend that they be different.
The purpose of the native vlan is to tag the untagged packets.

By default the vlan of administration and the native vlan is vlan 1, but, it is advisable to change that.

To give IP to the administration vlan:

S(config)#interface  vlan  1

S(config-if)#ip  address  <IP>  <mask>

S(config-if)#no  shutdown

S(config-if)#exit

S(config)#ip  default-gateway  <IP gateway of the vlan>

Regards

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card