cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Vlan NOT passing through trunk port

keithhampshire
Level 1
Level 1

This should be a very basic fix, but I can't seem to find the answer. I have a Cisco C2960-L switch & Cisco 1921 router.

I have configured port gi0/16 on the switch to be the trunk port. I have two vlans (1-30). Port gi0/1 on the switch is on vlan 30. I have my laptop plugged into port gi0/1 on the switch and I CAN NOT ping the router (192.168.1.254). I CAN ping the router and get internet access on all other ports (gi0/2 - gi0/15), which are on the native vlan 1 of course.

Do I need to do anything on the router to allow certain vlans through? 

The command "sh int trunk" shows that vlan 30 is allowed and active. Also, that command shows "Vlans allowed on trunk 1-4094".

What am I missing here? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

I assume you have configured the router with subinterfaces ? Let's say your router is connected to the switch on port GigabitEthernet0/1, you would then put the IP address of the Vlan 1 interface on the main interface, and for Vlan 30, you would configure a subinterface. So the interface configuration on the router would be: 

interface GigabitEthernet0/1

description Link to Switch

ip address 192.168.1.254 255.255.256.0

!

interface GigabitEthernet0/1.30

encapsulation dot1q 30

ip address 192.168.30.1 255.255.255.0

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

For vlan 30, do you have a sub-interface configured with ip 192.168.1.254 on the router. The router, needs to sub-interfaces, one for vlan 30 and one for 1 and both sub-interfaces need to be configured as dot1.q.  Can you post the output of "show run" from the router as well as the switch?

HTH

Hello,

I assume you have configured the router with subinterfaces ? Let's say your router is connected to the switch on port GigabitEthernet0/1, you would then put the IP address of the Vlan 1 interface on the main interface, and for Vlan 30, you would configure a subinterface. So the interface configuration on the router would be: 

interface GigabitEthernet0/1

description Link to Switch

ip address 192.168.1.254 255.255.256.0

!

interface GigabitEthernet0/1.30

encapsulation dot1q 30

ip address 192.168.30.1 255.255.255.0

Yes, subinterfaces worked. I guess you have to have a whole new subnet for all the different vlans. 

On to a new issues though, I'll create another thread for this, but how can I control the vlans from talking to each other? Basically, I can PING one way but no the other. I can PING nodes on vlan 1 from vlan30 but I can't PING nodes from vlan1 to vlan 30.

I'm trying to setup guess wifi and I don't want the guess on the production network.

Thanks again, 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card