cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Vlan on Another Switch

chueymtz
Level 1
Level 1

I have a host switch that has vlans configured on it, Vlan100 10.76.x.x, Vlan200 172.16.x.x, and Vlan300 192.x.x.x. My question is since I had to tie an ip address to the vlans of .x.1, if i need to use the same Vlans on different switches at other sites how do i go about them picking up those ip address from vlans? Ex: i have to setup a switch at the same location but from a fiber connection from a different building on the same site, do i have to apply a new ip address to those vlans of 

2 Replies 2

if the SW is L2 and you have Core SW that do inter-vlan then 
config SVI for VLAN in Core only 
config SVI for one VLAN in other SW for management.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

VLANs are unique per switch unless you connect a VLAN to another VLAN on another switch, using a L2 connection.

Network address assignments are assigned to VLANs.  They apply to that VLAN to wherever that particular VLAN is extended.

To be clear, a VLAN, on different switches is NOT the same VLAN unless, again, it's connected to other switches using the same VLAN (usually/almost-always switches would use the same VLAN number on different switches when VLANs between switches are interconnected).

E.g. SW 1 (VLANs 5 and 10) <port 20, VLAN 5 <> port 30 VLAN 5 > SW 2 (VLANs 5 and 10) - As VLAN 5 is interconnected on the two switches, its the same VLAN on both switches, while VLAN 10 is not, as it is not interconnected.

You could have: SW 1 (VLANs 5 and 10) <port 20, VLAN 5 <> port 30 VLAN 10 > SW 2 (VLANs 5 and 10) and now VLAN 5, on switch 1 and VLAN 10 on switch 2 are the SAME VLAN, BUT THIS IS HIGHLY UNUSUAL AND NOT RECOMMENDED.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card