Level 1

Ok, I am working in my lab and I was adding a new L2/3 vlan

vlan 555

name test

int vlan 555

ip address 1.1.1.1/24

no shut

Simple, right?

I have also ensured that this vlan is added to the port channel going to my Nexus5K's.  I added the vlan to the 5K's and also ensured that vlan 555 is traversing the peer link.  all is good there.  I have also placed a device on a interface on the 2k as a access switchport on vlan 555

Here is my problem, the L3 interface will NOT come up on the 7K

LAB-DSW01# sh ip int brie

IP Interface Status for VRF "default"(1)

Interface            IP Address      Interface Status

Vlan555             1.1.1.1     protocol-down/link-down/admin-up  

I have gone throug just about everything I can think of and I am still unable to get this L3 interface to come up.  I have other L3 interfaces on this device that are configured exactly the sameway without any issue at all.  All the existing interfaces are working properly, it's jut this new interface that I am trying to add.

I am running version 6.0.1 on the 7K and 5.2.1.N1.4 on the 5K

Anyone have a suggestion of what I am doing wrong?

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Assuming you have redundant 5ks, did you add vlan 555 to both?

Also is the physical interface where the device is connected to 2k up?

I figured it out, it was STP causing all the fuss.  I had set the spanning-tree priority for a bunch of vlans but vlan 555 was not in the range.  So, whatever number is was automatically assigned was high enough to make it root.  Some how there was a loop in my network, which I have no idea how that happened and still don't, my 7K wasn't root for vlan 555 and thus blocked the port.  Once I made vlan 555 root, the L3 interface came up.

Thanks for the efforts everyone.

Jeremy

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card