cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Vlan passing traffic between switches

cgslaughter
Level 1
Level 1

I have a client that has two WAP321s, two Catalyst 2960s, one SG500X-48, and a Watchguard Router/Firewall (Model is not important).

I am trying to get the guest wireless network setup to pass traffic on VLAN2 to the router across the network. All regular traffic is on VLAN1. (yes I know it really should be on a different VLAN)

Background:  I had originally had everything working till one of the unmanaged switches died. I move one of the Catalyst 2960s to replace the dead switch and then replaced the Catalyst 2960 with a SG500X-48.

Network layout: One WAP321 is connected to one of the Catalyst 2960s, which is connected to the Firewall/Router. (All traffic is passed as expected on both VLANS)

The second WAP321 is connected to the second Catalyst 2960, which connects to the SG500X-48, which connects to the first Catalyst 2960, and then to the Firewall/Router. The Default VLAN 1 works fine. VLAN2 does not.

What I have tried to do is set the ports on the second Catalyst 2960 which is connected to the WAP321 and the SG500X-48 to Trunk. I also set the port on the first Cataylst 2960 that connects to the SG500X-48 to trunk. (Although it was not set and passing traffic before moving switches around.) When I do this all traffic between the first Catalyst 2960 and the SG500X-48 stops. The Catalyst 2960 reports a port error and then shuts down the port. Only way to recover is to clear the port setting and then reboot the switch.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what is happening and what I am doing wrong?  

4 Replies 4

aniketalashe
Level 1
Level 1

Can you share the error reported on the 2960 switch? Is the trunk negotiated properly between the two switches?

Aniketalashe

I was able to get the port on the Catalyst 2960 set to trunk finally, not sure what did the trick, although that does not seem to be my problem.

Back to your question of the error report. I am unable to figure out how to get the log out of the 2960. I saw the error in the webGUI, when I moused over the port in question when the problem was happening.

I am starting to think that maybe the switch is starting to go.

Hi,

You can telnet/SSH to the switch and copy error logs.

Would it be possible for you to share software version details and configuration file of the 2960 and SG500X?

Aniket Alashe

Jerry Paul
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

You need to use interVALN routing on router for communicating dufferent VLANs.

Create a static trunk between router and switches.

Create 2 sub-interfaces for VLAN1 and VLAN2 on router.

Then they will start communication between each other.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card