Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Vlan Query

Hi Team,

I have L3 switch ,in this switch i created L3 vlan id -10 and assigned few Ethernet interfaces to this vlan.

If I delet the vlan 10 using " no vlan 10 " is this also remove the ethernet interface config for that vlan?

or just it put the interface as down?

Thanks & Best Regards

Yuvaraj Karvekar

9 Replies 9

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

No, you would have to delete the vlan manually from the Ethernet interfaces.

HTH

I agree ,I have to delete manually the vlan info from interface config.

My next query is ,if I delet only vlan "no vlan 10" .

is this will put the associated physical interfaces down?

The reason why I am asking is ,honestly I just want to correct the vlan name and don't want to touch any interface configurations.so when I delete the vlan 10 in that case is the associated interfaces to this vlan will go logical down? 

If you want to change the vlan description/name, there is no need to delete than vlan.

config t

vlan 10

name <what ever you want here>

this will replaces the old name.

and yes, If you delete the vlan, the associated interfaces will go down.

HTH

I agree ,I have to delete manually the vlan info from interface config.My next query is ,if I delet only vlan "no vlan 10" .is this will put the associated physical interfaces down?The reason why I am asking is ,honestly I just want to correct the vlan name and don't want to touch any interface configurations.so when I delete the vlan 10 in that case is the associated interfaces to this vlan will go logical down?

Hi , Agree with Reza & Rafael that deleting vlan will only delete from vlan.dat file , need to manually delete the vlan configuration from interface level.

And to answer what will happen to interfaces so if it is layer 3 interface it will go into an Up/Down state and traffic on any layer 2 ports configured for that VLAN will be black-holed.

Hope it Helps..

-GI

Thanks All

for more clarifications

rafael.alves
Level 1
Level 1

The VLAN configuration is written in the vlan.dat file. But the VLAN interface membership configuration stays on hte Running/Startup config. So when you delete the VLAN, the interface continues attached to the old VLAN. So, unfortunately, you need to remove the VLAN assignment for all ethernet interfaces.

Guru Mysoruu
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Yuvaraj,

When you are created L3 Vlan(SVI), it becomes a Routable interface and deleting l2 vlan, will not delete the  SVI Config and you need to manually delete it.

Regards,

Gurudath K S

Thanks Guys for more clarifications

yuvi

ahakels
Level 1
Level 1

L3 vlan is an SVI. which makes Inter-vlan routing possible.

L2 Vlan are the vlan that we put the ports into.

When you issue the command WR then the data is written to the flash memory.

For Vlan's it goes to vlan.dat file and the SVI goes to the config file in the flash.

If you delete the SVI the ports wont go down if there is no traffic passing through.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card