cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

vlan setup questions

dave dave
Level 1
Level 1

Hi! Currently in my network env, I'm running on flat network (on the default vlan1)with all the svrs and client connected to that segments. However I'm planning to have another segments for wifi n ip phones with new vlans for that. My question is that can I not change the vlan of the existing svrs n clients? But I would add a new vlan 10 n 20, for the clients connect thru wifi n ip phone. Can I leave the existing wired client n svr to continue using vlan 1 on the access port?

Will this work? Thx

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

6 Replies 6

JohnTylerPearce
Level 7
Level 7

I'm a little configured here sorry. I see that you are running a flat network with all servers and clients connected to VLAN 1.

You are planning new networks for Wifi and IP Phones and want new VLANs for each.

You don't have to change the vlan at all between the servers and clients, they are all on vlan1, so according to what you want to do you shouldn't have to.

I would suggest splitting up the clients and servers to be on separate vlans, you wouldn't want a virus to get on one of the client machines and find the servers by broadcasting.

I'm not much of an IP Phone guy, but I'm pretty sure that Cisco likes to keep data and IP Phone traffic separate. Just make sure to configure your switches properly and that you have proper routing.

hi the reason to hv new vlan for wifi is that the ip is limited in the client/svr segment, and I do not want to change the ip of the svr because of the ip rearrangement. So will adding new vlans for other purposes while m

The reason of having new vlans for other purposes is because the client/svr segments' ip is limited and I do not want to change the ip of the svrs. So will adding new vlan while maintaining the svr on vlans 1 work?

Yes, you shouldn't have any problems. Buy since you are creating new vlans, make sure you have proper routing so the new networks (vlans) can communicate with each other as well as L2 configuration.

You can leave VLAN 1 for clients and servers

and create VLAN 10 for Wifi and VLAN 20 for IP Phones

Just make sure all 3 vlans can communicate via L2 and L3.

Hi, another question is that can I configure vlan1 as one of the subinterfaces in the router on the stick configuration? N not assign any vlan to my svrs which is in vlan1 in my switch?

Hi,

With RoAS config you must either put an ip address on the physical interface which will be receiving frames in the native VLAN or configure a subinterface and assign it the native VLAN with the keyword native.

if you don't specify a VLAN membership on an access port of a switch by default it is a member of VLAN 1.

Regards.

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card