cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN Trunking

scott.hawks
Level 1
Level 1

Hello. Thanks in advance for any help. I have 2 Cisco 3560's that i am getting ready to vlan. I also have 8 Dell 2708's that support vlans. my question is this; my 2708's are connected to the 3560's via Fiber. the fiber drops directly into the 3560's. do i set up the fiber ports as trunks or statically assign them to vlans? all of the fiber lines carry data for my workstation vlan.

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

If you only have one vlan on each of the Dell's then you will only need to configure the fibre ports on the 3560 as access ports and not trunks.

If you have more than one vlan on one of the Dells you will need to configure that dell connection as a trunk.

HTH

Jon

Jon

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

If you only have one vlan on each of the Dell's then you will only need to configure the fibre ports on the 3560 as access ports and not trunks.

If you have more than one vlan on one of the Dells you will need to configure that dell connection as a trunk.

HTH

Jon

Jon

mshavrov
Level 1
Level 1

It depends on your network design. If you have only one VLAN for all your users, and another VLAN for your servers, then you may skip VLAN configuration on your DELL switches, and setup your fiber ports as an "access port" with users VLAN.

However, if you want to separate users (for example, Accounting vs. Sales), and you cannot combine them "by the switch" (for example, all Accounting users on one switch, and all Sales users on another), then you need to create appropriate VLANs on your Dell switches, on your c3560 switches, and configure ports as a trunk.

Good luck,

Mike

----

Cisco IP Phone Headset Adapters

http://www.ciscoheadsetadapter.com

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card