Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN

mmmartin823
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Cisco Support Community,

I am currently studying for my CCENT exam, and have a question that I haven't been able to find the answer to quite yet.

Do each host within a VLAN connect with a physical link to the switch's interface?  Or is this interface virtual?

If it is a physical link to the switch's interface, then would my assumption be correct that there is 1 port per host?

Thank you!

4 Replies 4

Lucas.maupin1
Level 1
Level 1

CCENT here. Think of it like this...

You have 3 ports:

2 are assigned to VLAN 2

1 is assigned to VLAN 40

Each port is connected to its specific device, but there is a VIRTUAL INTERFACE created for, in this case, VLAN 2 and VLAN 40 that allow the devices on each VLAN to route outward.

I think that's correct as far as I know.

Thank you Lucas.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages wha2tsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Unsure I understand what you're asking.

If we're dealing with wired networks, then hosts have some kind of physical link connection to something.  It doesn't have to be a switch, though.  For example, a host might connect to a hub, which connects to a switch.  Or, it might connect to a switch that doesn't support VLANs (or even has the host in a different VLAN from another switch's VLAN - i.e. host might be reachable on VLAN 5 on one switch but VLAN 10 on another [this is highly unusual and generally to be avoided].)  Host might also trunk to a switch, and then the host has 'virtual' interfaces.

So there are cases where a physical switch port might have multiple hosts reachable via it, although more common is one host per physical switch port.

Unfortunately, the prior paragraphs might confuse you further, but again, it's unclear to me, what you're really asking.

Are you trying to understand the difference between a VLAN interface or SVI (switch virtual interface) vs. a physical port interface?

Thank you Joseph!  Very helpful!  I think you answered my question exactly actually.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card