Helpful
Replies

VLAN1 administratively down, line protocol is down

Shadius
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

Newbie to networking here.

I'm having an issue where I can't access a C3750 switch on a switch stack. There are four switches in the stack. 

When I try to telnet into the switch, I'm getting "% Connection timed out; remote host not responding". Also, PCs connected to this switch stack are getting "No Internet access". 

Where would I start to troubleshoot this? Any help is appreciated! 

6 Replies 6

Martin L
VIP
VIP

you lost your remote access to switch stack. I am afraid you will have to connect locally via console or have some1 there to troubleshoot.

Bring Internet access to PCs and my guess would be your telnet will comeback

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

@Martin L wrote:

you lost your remote access to switch stack. I am afraid you will have to connect locally via console or have some1 there to troubleshoot.

Bring Internet access to PCs and my guess would be your telnet will comeback

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

So this status of "VLAN1 being administratively down, line protocol down" has nothing to do with it? 

I'm trying to figure out why I lost remote access in the first place because nothing has changed.

Yes, I am trying to get back the Internet access to everything. 

Can you advise on any troubleshooting steps once I connect locally? 

Your subject is confusing our mates "VLAN1 administratively down, line protocol is down"

you made a comment "So this status of "VLAN1 being administratively down, line protocol down" has nothing to do with it? "

So the environment not clear for us and what happened, so we can visualize what is the status.

If you like to troubleshoot and investigate what happened in the remote end of your stack :

post below information to understand the issue :

1. show version

2. show switch.

3. show ip interface brief

4. show logging attached to the thread to understand logs.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

@balaji.bandi wrote:

Your subject is confusing our mates "VLAN1 administratively down, line protocol is down"

you made a comment "So this status of "VLAN1 being administratively down, line protocol down" has nothing to do with it? "

So the environment not clear for us and what happened, so we can visualize what is the status.

If you like to troubleshoot and investigate what happened in the remote end of your stack :

post below information to understand the issue :

1. show version

2. show switch.

3. show ip interface brief

4. show logging attached to the thread to understand logs.

Here's some information regarding the environment.

The switch stack goes back to the Core Switch in the MDF via fiber. I'm not sure which interface it's connected to. How can I find out? Is there a command to run?

At the moment, I only have remote access to the Core Switch. I can't physically be on-site due to COVID-19.

How can I troubleshoot this remotely?

Please help!

You having issue with Switch Stack ? going amber lights ?

Check show cdp neigh from core or stack will tell you what port connected to Core.

from code show spanning brief and from Accesss should help for now.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

I have several questions starting with this: the original post tells us that vlan 1 is administratively down line protocol is down. How do we know this? Whatever access gave that information might give other information that would be useful.

Other questions would include these:

- do you have a configuration for the switch? If so please post it. (idealy it would be the current config, but even an older config might be helpful)

- is this switch operating as a layer 2 switch or operating as a layer 3 switch?

- are most (or all) of the switch ports in vlan 1? If there are more vlans than just vlan 1 what are the other vlans?

- is interface vlan 1 the only vlan interface or are there other vlan interfaces? (note that interface vlan 1 is not the same thing as vlan 1)

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: