cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Vlans and 2960

woates
Level 1
Level 1

I just recieved a bunch of 2960 switches ... and I need to connect them to my 6513 ..  my question is do I need to put all the ports on the newly installed 2960 into the vlan .. is there any advantage of placing the vlan tags on the access layer switch ?

Actually I think I have my answer ... but the 2960 will be devoted to one vlan that exists on the core  .. all ports on the 2960 will be part of the vlan ...

I might trunk a couple of gig's back to the core for speed but I realize that I will have to tag in that scenerio  ...

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The ports that are connecting to end user devices are usually access port (no trunk), unless you are using VM.  If you have multiple vlans on each 2960, then you need to trunk the port(s) that connects to your 6513.

HTH

joeadiutori
Level 1
Level 1

I have a couple questions.  You ask "do I need to put all the ports on the newly installed 2960 into the vlan?"  My question is what VLAN are you referring to?  Give me a number, just for reference.  Also, how many VLAN's do you have on the 6513? Are you running VTP on the 6513? 

Generally speaking I would set the VLAN of the trunk port on the 2960 to the same VLAN of the trunk port on the 6513.  If you dont specifically configure the VLAN, it will go to default of VLAN 1.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card