cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VLANS with SRW2024P and RVS4000

1111eastjohn
Level 1
Level 1

I've a Linksys SRW2024P switch sitting behind a Cisco RVS4000 router.  Both devices are 802.1q aware, and I'd like to set up vlans to keep clients out of each other's sandboxes.

My (admittedly limited) understanding is that the same vlans must be configured with the same IDs on both devices.  The problem is that I need 9 vlans, and while the switch supports some ungodly number of them, the router can only support 4.

I suspect I need a new router, but before I start growling and packing up hardware for return, would anyone care to venture an opinion?

Thanks,

Bryan

3 Replies 3

Didier1966
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Do some computers or printers need to go to the other VLAN's ?

I do not know the SRW2024 , ones I have played with a CISCO SLM2008 , I think it is more or less the same , IT IS NOT IOS

It will not be easy to combine an NOT IOS with something that run IOS.

Some time ago I helped a school for 6 classes with 4 computers and 1 printer (30 connections) + 3 teachers room (4 computers and 1 printer per room) , I used a CISCO 2960 48PORTS SWITCH + CISCO 1841 , in this scenario I also have to use 9 VLAN's.

The above setup is still working well after 2 years

A other plan is to use different subnet's , in this scenario you do not need to have a expensive router or switch , but I am afraid you will have to setup every single computer manually , but it will work.

Let us now , if you need more information.

Best Regards,

Didier

Thanks for your reply.

Excepting a shared internet connection, the vlans don't need to talk to each other at all.

Regards,

Bryan

Hi Brian,

Sorry to not be able to find a solution with the material you have (SRW2024P and RVS4000)  , maybe someone else can help you here in this forum ?

Best Regards,

Didier

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card