Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Voice Access Port to Trunk Port

Dear Friend,

I am having an AP connected thourgh Switch Gig Port and configured with switchport voice vlan command and access vlan command.

Can I make this Gig port to Trunk Port and can allow both Access & Voice Vlan along with other required VLANs (Wireless LAN Management, SSIDs VLAN etc).

My main aim is to get connectivity to AP and also to have Voice Traffic flowing through.

Example:

Current Port config --

"

switchport access vlan 990

switchport mode access

switchport voice vlan 800

"

Required Port Config ---

"

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport trunk native vlan 101

switchport trunk allowed vlan 101,120,140,160,800

"

Detail answer will be more helpful and appreciated...

Regards,

Yaseen

3 Replies 3

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Mohammed,

the trunk configuration to the AP is supported, the native vlan 101 will be the management Vlan for the AP ( the AP will be given an IP address belonging to the IP subnet associated to  the native Vlan)

Actually without the trunk configuration it would not be possible to support multiple WLANs/Vlans on the AP.

I would say the trunk configuration proposed is the recommended configuration to an AP.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hello Giuseppe,

I understand you point and in fact, I'm aware that the configuration of this Port should be trunk and not access.

My hesitation is with Voice VLAN. So can I have voice vlan (800 here) in Trunk Port and everything will be fine for Voice devices working through this AP.

Hello Mohammed,

the VoIP traffic can get a better treatment if it is correctly marked  (DSCP or 802.1p CoS) and  QoS configuration is in effect on the port.. A part from this, the voice vlan is just one the permitted vlans on the trunk.

To work correctly the voice vlan has to be different from the native untagged vlan, there is no other constraint so that an 802.1p CoS header is present on the voice frames.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card