cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Voice vlan issue with Grandstream 1625 phones

patramirezort
Level 1
Level 1

The company I work use Grand stream Phones 1625 model, I have noticed that phones do not work properly when the interface is been tagged with the voice vlan command (WS-C2960X-48TS-L). They recognized the gateway and receive an IP from voice vlan but when we test the line it produces a busy tone and unable to establish a phone connection. But If the port is tagged only for the voice vlan (in access and stand alone mode) works fine.

Below is the configuration (real vlans number were changed):

!
switchport access vlan 45    ---> Data vlan

switchport trunk native vlan 45

switchport mode trunk

switchport voice vlan 15     ---> Voice vlan

spanning-tree portfast edge
!

Switch is in RSTP mode and only 802.1Q is allowed (newer platform).

I appreciate any help to resolve the issue.

Thanks in advance,

Patricia

11 Replies 11

mHadi
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

only cisco phones are compatible with voice vlan config, because of CDP,

for example, this config:

sw access vl 10

sw voice vl 20

this config olny works with cisco phone ..

so, when you have third party phones, and if you want both data vlan to PC and Voice vlan to phone,

you must config your port as a Trunk port which contains both vlans, and make vlan data for PC a native vlan on trunk,

and then set manually  vlan voice in your phone setting, definitely it has vlan setting ..

assume vlan 10 is data-pc-vlan

vlan 20 is phone-voice-vlan

config like this:

sw mode trunk

sw trunk en dot1q

sw trunk allowed vlan all

sw trunk native vlan 10 >>(Data-PC-Vlan)<<

then go on your phone, set vlan id manually to 20 ..

so pc will send untagged traffic, which switch will tagging native vlan for it (Will go on Data-PC-Vlan)

and your phone will send tagged traffic which will go to the network (trunk port are allowed it to pass)

Mohammadreza Hadi

Hi, apologize for the late reply.

Apparently for the Grandstream phones the Vlan tagging for voice and data are different, on the Switch the port needs to be in trunk mode and placed in native mode (by using the Voice vlan):

Example: 

switchport trunk native vlan (phone vlan #)
switchport mode trunk

After this command the phone was manually configured with the data vlan and both works fine (data and voice).

HI patramirezort

Please can you help i had the same problem.

Please The configuration you made also takes into account the video of GXV3240 and other ?

best regard

So if I have only third part VOIP phones then what config I should used in the case grandstream 1615 only for voice vlan 

I need to config IP DHCP pool on the core switch and VOIP phones could be any where in neighbor switch kindly let  me know what's the basic config to get IP from DHCP and secondly what if i need to bind IP with mac addresses

Hello,

I don't recall the exact configuration but I believe that with Grandstream phones, you need to enable lldp globally (lldp run).

You also need option 132 or 150, the config would be something like below:

ip dhcp pool VOICE
network 192.168.50.0 255.255.255.0
option 150 ip 192.168.50.10
default-router 192.168.50.1
dns-server 8.8.8.8
!
switchport mode access
switchport voice vlan 50
spanning-tree portfast

I agree with @Georg Pauwen that I think LLDP not being enabled is the culprit here. I have done this with Shoretel, Avaya and several other IP phone vendors and it worked just fine.

do I need to configure "interface vlan 50" command on core switch or any other neighbor switch

Hello,

voice vlan 50 needs to be configured on the access ports where the Grandstreams are connected to...

I am successful in setup grandstream VoIP phones but the problem here is that I can dial and talk using phone  IP but not with an extension number. How to resolve this issue

the scenario is that all VOIP phones are connected on l3 switch cisco and DHCP is config on core switch

Hello,

you are successful setting up the Grandstream IP phones WITH the changes we are suggested ? Which Grandstream hardware/software are you using ? The switch does layer 2 only, extension numbers are done in the PBX, so I have a feeling it is not related to the switch configuration...

On the core switch:

ip dhcp excluded-address 192.168.50.1 192.168.50.4
!
ip dhcp pool test
network 192.168.50.0 255.255.255.0
dns-server 192.168.10.13 192.168.10.130
default-router 192.168.50.1
!
!
interface vlan 50
ip address 192.168.50.1 255.255.255.0
!