tn.linkedin.com/in/mbarkimohamed/ GSM. (00 216) 93 124 999/ 22 741 725
4 Replies 4

Guru Mysoruu
Level 1
Level 1

Dude,

Voice vlan is special feature.

Voice Vlan.

Whenever a phone is connected to the switch port,switch exchange information with phone with vlan address and TFTP address.then switch guides the phone with vlan path,gateway and tftp address.

In your first configuration,you are using voice vlan command and information will be exchanged.

you can connect both phone and host,both will work.

Another thing,because of voice vlan command,host will be getting data vlan ip and phone will be getting Voice vlan Ip

In your second config,your staticly assigining vlan,it will work like regular vlan and phone cannot communicate to tftp server and call manager.

but vlan 18 is for voip

all telephony sytem connected on this vlan

tn.linkedin.com/in/mbarkimohamed/
GSM. (00 216) 93 124 999/ 22 741 725

tn.linkedin.com/in/mbarkimohamed/ GSM. (00 216) 93 124 999/ 22 741 725

Guru Mysoruu
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Eventhrough Its voice vlan only,the packet will be tagged has vlan 18.

When Voice VLAN feature enables access ports to carry IP voice traffic from an IP phone. When the switch

is connected to a IP Phone, the phone sends voice traffic with Layer 3 IP precedence and

Layer 2 class of service (CoS) values, which are both set to 5 by default.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Guru has already answered what's different, but to clarify, an Avaya phone can work on tagged or non-tagged VLANs.  When working with tagged frames, it needs to know what the expected tag will be.

When you connect your Avaya phone to your first port configuration, and it works, it then expects VoIP traffic to be tagged with VLAN 18.  If frames are not so tagged, it will ignore the frame (which is why it will ignore the non-tagged port data traffic on VLAN 16).

If you connect the same Avaya phone to your second port configuration, the Avaya phone will still ignore the non-tagged frames, even though they are VoIP frames.  I.e. your Avaya phone's configuration needs to be changed to accept VoIP frames as non-tagged.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card