Views
Helpful
Replies

vPC & non vPC VLANs

abimadaro4462
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I know that best practices is to have a dedicated port-channel for non vPC VLANs and not to allow those VLANs in the peer link. My question is, will it still valid to allow vPC and non vPC VLANs in the peer link? Will that have impact on the performance, traffic flow ..etc?

Noting that some non vPC VLANs are configured in HSRP.

Regards,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

There should not be any performance issue but it is recommended to use the exclude command "dual-active exclude interface-vlan <non-vPC vlans list>" 

From the vPC design dpocument:

On the Cisco Nexus 7000 Series, when carrying vPC and non-vPC VLANs on the peer link, you may want to
exclude the orphaned ports SVIs from the default behavior by using the command dual-active exclude
interface-vlan <non-vPC vlans list>. Alternatively, you can use different VLANs for vPC-connected devices and
single-port attached devices (orphaned ports), and put the non-vPC VLANs and the peer link on different trunks.

Link:

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/products/collateral/switches/nexus-7000-series-switches/C07-572830-00_Agg_Dsgn_Config_DG.pdf

HTH

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

There should not be any performance issue but it is recommended to use the exclude command "dual-active exclude interface-vlan <non-vPC vlans list>" 

From the vPC design dpocument:

On the Cisco Nexus 7000 Series, when carrying vPC and non-vPC VLANs on the peer link, you may want to
exclude the orphaned ports SVIs from the default behavior by using the command dual-active exclude
interface-vlan <non-vPC vlans list>. Alternatively, you can use different VLANs for vPC-connected devices and
single-port attached devices (orphaned ports), and put the non-vPC VLANs and the peer link on different trunks.

Link:

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/products/collateral/switches/nexus-7000-series-switches/C07-572830-00_Agg_Dsgn_Config_DG.pdf

HTH

Hello,
Thanks for the reference, based on the information listed in it, I can say it's fine in my case to trunk the non-vPC VLANs in the peer link even without exclude them. The reason is, In my case I have two FWs Active/Standby are connected to the vPC domain so I have the below configuration;
On vPC primary;
vlan 10
ip address 10.10.10.2
hsrp 10.10.10.1
on the vPC secondary;
vlan 10
ip address 10.10.10.3
hsrp 10.10.10.1

What do you think about this?

Hi,

This should work fine. I would just give a higher priority to hsrp on the primary vPC, so that it is the active HSRP. It is usually good practice to have the one device the primary for HSRP, STP root and vPC.

HTH

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card