Views
Helpful
Replies

Vpc behavior during nexus 5k upgrade

vinothnil
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

We are planning to upgrade our nexus 5k switches which is in vpc domain. We are gonna do it in vpc primary switch first. So my doubt is

After the install, the switch will be rebooted. During that time, will there be any downtime in network. If so, how long it would be?.

Thanks ,

Raj

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

Ok, so since you don't have any FEXs, as long as your servers are connected to both 5ks and the 5ks are configured as VPC, you should not see any down time during software upgrade.

HTH

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

It depends on how your servers and/or FEXs are connected to the 5ks.

Can you post your design?

HTH

Hi Reza,

There are no fexs.

There are almost 30 servers connected to these switches. And each servers are with redundancy links.. Means it is connecting to both our switches with port channel configured in switch end.

Sorry for the design.. I can't..

Thanks for your quick reply..

Hi,

Ok, so since you don't have any FEXs, as long as your servers are connected to both 5ks and the 5ks are configured as VPC, you should not see any down time during software upgrade.

HTH

What it have mattered if there is a FEX? I am in the same situation with FEX units down stream on some of my 5k.

I hope bringing this tread back to life will help!!! You have helped me already this week Reza!!!

Yes, I have the same doubts about the behavior during an upgrade to N5k/N9k and FEXes. I guess the answer may depend on a few variables.

In nx-os 7.2 on the N5k a VPC shutdown feature was introduced. I suppose the switch you execute this on would become the secondary and shutdown it's VPC members? If you combine this with the "vpc orphan-port suspend" on the NIC teaming ports, my guess is that these will shutdown as well. That would be quite a convenient failover strategy - just shutdown VPC then run the software update. 

It would be helpful to know what status the HIFs will be in while the "install all" command reloads the N5k.

Also to be noted that there have been one or two bugs involving the orphan port (e.g. CSCvq79234), which suggests the suspend is applied during switch reload and holds until the VPC delay restore timer (150s) is finished.

Another weapon in the arsenal is "system interface shutdown", in the newer releases which closes down everything except mgmt0.

FEXes could be plugged into two upstream 5ks, but I'm more interested to know about the Straight-Through upgrade behaviour.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card