cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPC Nexus 5K - Portchannel with 1G and 10G

snarayanaraju
Level 4
Level 4

Hello All - It is a design question. When forming VPC Portchannel or LACP, can i combine 1G interface and 10G interface to achieve a bundle portchannel so that i will get 11Gbps Interface speed.

I will ensure i will connect 1G with another 1G of neighbour switch. Similarly 10G with another 10G of the neighbour switch.

regards,

SAIRAM

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Sai,

I would also go with the above two engineers comment that we need to have the same speed setting to form the port-channel.

Please find the answer below:-

Does the Portchannel or VPC requirement states that all the Ports participate in the Bundle should be of same speed (Example Gig 0/0 and Gig 0/1 of a switch) ?

Answer:- Yes you are right you need to have the same speed.(in your case both are Gig interfaces and this will work good and form the bundle).

Fyi:- All the ports in a port channel must be compatible; they must use the same speed and duplex mode.

2- VPC:- 

Configuration Parameters That Must Be Identical

The switch automatically check for compatibility of these parameters on the vPC interfaces. The per-interface parameters must be consistent per interface, and the global parameters must be consistent globally.

•  Port-channel mode: on, off, or active
  •  Link speed per channel>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>. Link speed.

HTH

Regards

Inayath

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

sean_evershed
Level 7
Level 7

It is my understanding that this may not work.

Even with standard port-channel all links in the bundle must be the same speed.

With vPC it will fail one of the consistency parameters that checks speeds of ports.

It will fail as it does not meet the port-channel parameters. Irrespective of VPC, or normal port-channel it will not work.

Thanks,

Madhu.

Does the Portchannel or VPC requirement states that all the Ports participate in the Bundle should be of same speed (Example Gig 0/0 and Gig 0/1 of a switch) ? I know a Port negotiating with the other port in the neighbour swich should match the speed

Sai,

I would also go with the above two engineers comment that we need to have the same speed setting to form the port-channel.

Please find the answer below:-

Does the Portchannel or VPC requirement states that all the Ports participate in the Bundle should be of same speed (Example Gig 0/0 and Gig 0/1 of a switch) ?

Answer:- Yes you are right you need to have the same speed.(in your case both are Gig interfaces and this will work good and form the bundle).

Fyi:- All the ports in a port channel must be compatible; they must use the same speed and duplex mode.

2- VPC:- 

Configuration Parameters That Must Be Identical

The switch automatically check for compatibility of these parameters on the vPC interfaces. The per-interface parameters must be consistent per interface, and the global parameters must be consistent globally.

•  Port-channel mode: on, off, or active
  •  Link speed per channel>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>. Link speed.

HTH

Regards

Inayath

Thankyou Inayath

Hi Sai,

One last point to this is that it's important to understand that when you bundle a number of physical links into a port-channel you do not achieve an interface supporting the total bandwidth of all the bundled links.

For example when you bundle two 1Gbps links, you have a single logical link supporting 2Gbps capacity, but the reality is that you still have two physical links each operating at 1Gbps.

One of the key requirements of the IEEE 802.3ad standard (now IEEE 802.1AX) is that "Frame ordering must be maintained". In order to achieve this all frames associated with a specific "conversation" must use the same physical link.

As an example let's assume we have host H1 connected to switch S1 with a 10GE NIC, host H2 connected to switch S2 with a 10GE NIC, and four physical 1GE links between S1 and S2 configured as a 4GE port-channel.

Because of the strict frame ordering requirement, any single conversation e.g., a file transfer between H1 and H2, is only sent across one of the four links, and so the effective throughput between H1 and H2 would be 1GE. The remaining three links would not be utilised.

If H1 and H2 were to start another conversation, this may be balanced across a different 1GE link and so then the total throughput between the H1 and H2 might be 2GE.

The way traffic is balanced across the physical links of a port-channel is based on a computed hash of a number of different parameters including source/destination MAC address, source/destination IP address and source/destination port. The parameters that may be included within the hash may vary by platform so you'd need to look at this for the platform you're interested in. You can find details for the Nexus 5000 series switches in the Load Balancing Using Port Channels section of the Cisco Nexus 5000 Series NX-OS Software Configuration Guide.

Regards

Thank you Steve

Hi,

sorry for posting on an already solved thread... but I think I'm not sure that I have fully understood. If I have two different Nexus switches (same series, different model), one with 10G ethernet (RJ45) interfaces and the other with 1G ethernet (GLC-T RJ45 SFPs) interfaces, if I explicitly set the speed to 1G and duplex to full, is it possible to form a vPC? This way both VPC sides should have the same speed and duplex settings... or the different hardware prevents the vPC to form?

Thank you in advance.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card