Views
Helpful
Replies

vPC Nexus 9K peers to C4510 trunking

Emil Naklicki
Level 1
Level 1

Hello 

I have two Nexus 93180yc-fx switches peered with vPC. I have created  vPC 10 member ports with LACP 10 to connect into my current production network. My management vlan is 200. My question is does each Nexus has to have a unique IP for the management vlan 200 SVI?  For instance Nexus1 10.1.200.11 and Nexus2 10.1.200.12?

If this is the case then is it possible to use the Nexus switches peered with vPC as a core? If I have a vlan 4 data subnet that is looking for a gateway, I could only use one SVI as the gateway since both switches have unique SVI's. Is there someway where these switches can share an SVI similar to how a 3850 stack could? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

When you deploying Nexus with vPC you need to bring HSRP in place.

here is the example :

https://www.ciscozine.com/nexus-vpc-hsrp-vrrp-active-active/

make sense ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

When you deploying Nexus with vPC you need to bring HSRP in place.

here is the example :

https://www.ciscozine.com/nexus-vpc-hsrp-vrrp-active-active/

make sense ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

This is exactly what I needed! So if I'm understanding correctly, basically just have an HSRP instance for every SVI between the peers. The c4510 is connecting on a port channel to what it will think is a single device.

The only question is should the Nexus peers also be in LACP?

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

My question is does each Nexus has to have a unique IP for the management vlan 200 SVI?  For instance Nexus1 10.1.200.11 and Nexus2 10.1.200.12? 

Yes, you need a separate management IP per box. This is not like stacking or VSS where you only need one IP.

For vPC peering, use LACP,/active mode on both sides of the Portchannel.

HTH

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card