cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

vPC to vPC between 2 Pairs of N7K's

Henry Rehne
Level 1
Level 1

We have a pair of N7K distribution switches connected to a pair of N7K Aggregation switches.

n7k to n7k vPC.png

We run vPC on both pairs of n7k's.

n7k-d1 has two interfaces in a Port-Channel connecting to n7k-a1 & n7k-a2. (PC1)

n7k-d2 also has two interfaces in a Port-Channel connecting to n7k-a1 & n7k-a2. (PC2)

My problem is that Spanning-Tree is blocking PC2 and all traffic from n7k-d2 is traversing the Peer-Link before reaching the Aggregation layer.

Can anyone tell me if this is the best design for connecting two pairs of n7k's with vPC or if a better design would be to connect all 4 links into the same Port-Channel and vPC?

n7k to n7k vPC -2.png

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

The same principles apply since both a N7K and a N5K run Nexus OS.Therefore they both support vPC.

That document that I referred you to was written by a Cisco employee.

See also this Cisco best practice document for double sided VPC:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps9441/ps9670/C07-572834-00_STDG_NX-OS_vPC_DG.pdf

My guess is that both docs shows a N7K connecting to a N5K since deploying multiple N7K's in a data centre is very expensive unless you have a good business case. Rather most organisations choose to deploy the cheaper architecture of a N7K connecting to a N5K. Hence this cheaper option is discussed.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Sean

View solution in original post

Hi Henry

Same back-to-back vpc design is supported between pairs of n7k and n5k devices. There shouldn't be any issues.

HTH,

Alex

Hi Henry

Happy that you have found answers to your questions.

Regards,

Alex

7 Replies 7

sean_evershed
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

Check out this document on single-sided vs double-sided vpc.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-20836

Don't forget to rate all posts that are helpful.

Thanks.

I see this option is for n7k to n5k.

Is this option also available for n7k to n7k and is this a Cisco Best Practice recommendation?

Hi,

The same principles apply since both a N7K and a N5K run Nexus OS.Therefore they both support vPC.

That document that I referred you to was written by a Cisco employee.

See also this Cisco best practice document for double sided VPC:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps9441/ps9670/C07-572834-00_STDG_NX-OS_vPC_DG.pdf

My guess is that both docs shows a N7K connecting to a N5K since deploying multiple N7K's in a data centre is very expensive unless you have a good business case. Rather most organisations choose to deploy the cheaper architecture of a N7K connecting to a N5K. Hence this cheaper option is discussed.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Sean

Thanks Sean.

We have the Duoble-sided vPC concept between the N7k Distributions and the N5k Access switches.

Just need to verify that we can run the same between the Aggregate and Distribution.

I know the N5k's had some Caveats around the connectivity from the Servers regarding dual-homing.

Need some confirmation that similar Caveats don't exist with this design.

Hi Henry

Same back-to-back vpc design is supported between pairs of n7k and n5k devices. There shouldn't be any issues.

HTH,

Alex

Thanks Guys.

Had a Chat with our Cisco Rep and he also agrees that the Double-Sided vPC is the correct design between our n7K Core and n7K Distribution switches.

Hi Henry

Happy that you have found answers to your questions.

Regards,

Alex

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco