Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN and NAT with Loopback interface

mljevakovic
Level 3
Level 3

How we can configure router to work per next request:

when users from LAN want to contact Central site they have to pass through NAT and go out with loopback address which shoud go to tunnel.

when user want go to Internet they bypass NAT with loopback address and go out  to outside with outside address

3 Replies 3

Eduardo Aliaga
Level 4
Level 4

Quite an interesting issue !

Suppose your LAN is 10.10.10.x and your central site is 20.20.20.x

Let's attack NAT first. I will make it simplier putting the ip address from the loopback interface in a "NAT pool". Also we need to make the router aware that for different destinations you need different NATs.

int g1/0

description LAN

ip nat inside

int loopback 0

ip address 1.1.1.1 255.255.255.0

int g2/0

description INTERNET

ip nat outside

ip nat pool LOOPBACK-POOL 1.1.1.1 1.1.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0

ip nat inside source list INTERNET interface g2/0 overload

ip nat inside source list CENTRALSITE pool LOOPBACK-POOL overload

ip access-list extended INTERNET

deny ip 10.10.10.0 0.0.0.255 20.20.20.0 0.0.0.255

permit ip 10.10.10.0 0.0.0.255 any

deny ip any any

ip access-list extended CENTRALSITE

permit ip 10.10.10.0 0.0.0.255 20.20.20.0 0.0.0.255

deny ip any any

Now we will attack the VPN issue. NAT generally messes up traditional ACL-based VPNs so I will choose route-based VPN. To do that I will need to create a tunnel interface and make sure to route through the tunnel interface. Also we need configure "ip nat outside" in tunnel interface so we can mix VPN and NAT altogheter. The following  is the partial configuration of the VPN.

ip route 20.20.20.0 0.0.0.255 tunnel 0

int tunnel 0

ip nat outside

tunnel mode ipsec ipv4

tunnel protection ipsec profile Routed_VPN

I'm making these config from the top of my head, I didn't have time to prove it so hopefully it' s OK. If you give more information about your topology I could make a lab. Also if you need more info about routed-based vpns you could read this http://packetlife.net/blog/2011/aug/17/policy-based-vs-route-based-vpns-part-2/

Please rate if it helps. Kind regards

Hi Eduardo,

(I'm hope I've written correct).

We didn't have time to test your solution. Because of importance of the problem we had to find solution. In anyway thank you for your time. If you want I can post the config of our solution.

Eduardo, I had almost the same task and your solution works.

Actually, if you use loopback-pool there is no need in loopback interface itself.

Thank you.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card