Views
Helpful
Replies

VRF-Lite and Route Distinguishers

Joshua Engels
Level 1
Level 1

Hey guys,

I have a question.  I am setting up VRF Lite on a 3750 tomorrow and have been reading through some configuration guides.  I will be running EIGRP with ipv4 on both VRF's.  One thing I have noticed in some of the configuration example is the "route distinguisher" command.    I am a bit confused on whether the Route distinguisher is required or not.  I set up VRF-Lite in my test environment without the "rd" setting and it worked.  I was hoping that someone could provide some insight is to whether this command is needed.

Thanks!

Josh

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

mohAmed khAdr
Level 1
Level 1

Josh,

vrf-lite is vrf without mpls. You are not running thru SP addressing scheme

Any RD value you add will be fine as long as you keep it consist throughout.

And yes, you can conf vrf-lite even without RD value. I deploy it without RD values and never had any issue.

All you will need really is vrf name that will use under EIGRP add-family ipv4 (vrf name)

HTH

mohAmed 

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

mohAmed khAdr
Level 1
Level 1

Josh,

vrf-lite is vrf without mpls. You are not running thru SP addressing scheme

Any RD value you add will be fine as long as you keep it consist throughout.

And yes, you can conf vrf-lite even without RD value. I deploy it without RD values and never had any issue.

All you will need really is vrf name that will use under EIGRP add-family ipv4 (vrf name)

HTH

mohAmed 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card