cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VRRP with Multiple VLANS

bspear123
Level 1
Level 1

<p>Can someone provide me an example config for running VRRP with multiple VLANS on a router?  Does multicast have to be enabled ?  I cannot get more than one VRRP group to failover on a VLAN.  Here is the config i have so far:</p>

<p> </p>

<p>track 2 interface Serial0/0 line-protocol<br />

<br />

!<br />

<br />

!<br />

<br />

!<br />

<br />

!<br />

<br />

interface FastEthernet0/0<br />

<br />

no ip address<br />

<br />

ip pim dense-mode<br />

<br />

duplex auto<br />

<br />

speed auto<br />

<br />

!<br />

<br />

interface FastEthernet0/0.7<br />

<br />

encapsulation dot1Q 7<br />

<br />

ip address 10.251.101.2 255.255.255.0<br />

<br />

ip pim dense-mode<br />

<br />

vrrp 2 ip 10.251.101.1<br />

<br />

vrrp 2 priority 110<br />

<br />

vrrp 2 track 2 decrement 60<br />

<br />

!<br />

<br />

interface FastEthernet0/0.100<br />

<br />

encapsulation dot1Q 100 <br />

<br />

ip address 10.251.217.130 255.255.255.192<br />

<br />

ip pim dense-mode<br />

<br />

vrrp 1 ip 10.251.217.129<br />

<br />

vrrp 1 priority 110<br />

<br />

vrrp 1 track 2 decrement 60</p>

5 Replies 5

Elly Bornstein
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You do not need multicast routing to get VRRP to work, it uses a special multicast address that is always enabled.

From this config it looks like you are doing routing on a stick so you will have:

router1 f0/0.100 ----- switched topology vlan 100 --- f0/0.100 router2

Make sure you can ping from router1 to router2 on this vlan.

"ping 10.251.217.131 source f0/0.100" (assuming router2 is .131) this needs to work before VRRP will failover correctly.

You are correct.  Both router1 and router2 are connected to the same layer 2 switch.  Both router1 and router2 are setup for the VLANS.  Is there anything additional that needs to be configured for VRRP to work on these multiple VLANS ??  I can only get one of the VRRP groups to failover at a time.  Thanks.

viyuan700
Level 5
Level 5

this is configuration of one router, what is configuration of other router. VRRP is First Hop Routing Protocol, u need atleast 2 router connecetd to your switch.

I do not have access to the other router to pull the config.  They assure me they are setup with the same VRRP group and vlan.  But for some reason,  only one of the VRRP groups fails over.  My question was to ensure that VRRP can work on Fastethernet sub interfaces setup as VLANS.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card