Views
Helpful
Replies

VS-S2T-10G Line Card Compatibility

jamaludeen_s
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am configuring C6807 series switches at CCW, I have selected VS-S2T-10G as the supervisor.

I need 1 x 8 port 10 gig line card & 1 x 48 port 1 gig line card. I ended up selecting below 

C6800-48P-SFP-XL & C6800-8P10G ( I dont have a option to select C6800-48P-SFP as it's not available)

I am little bit worried about the XL in the 48 port, will it work with VS-S2T-10G or i have to change the superviosr to VS-S2T-10G-XL and select C6800-48P-SFP-XL & C6800-8P10G-XL

Please advice.

Regards

Jamal

5 Replies 5

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Usually you want the sup and line cards to match. So, if the line card is XL, you need an XL sup as well.

BTW, sup 720 is pretty old.  Use Sup 2T if the line card is compatible with it.

HTH 

Hi Raza,

Thanks for your response, i selected SUP 2T not 720. Data sheets for SUP2T shows that both the line cards are cupported.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/interfaces-modules/catalyst-6500-series-supervisor-engine-2t/data_sheet_c78-648214.html

Regards

Jamal

Hi,

I just want to clarify regarding this link.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/interfaces-modules/catalyst-6500-series-supervisor-engine-2t/data_sheet_c78-648214.pdf

It says SUP 2T is supporting WS-X6724-SFP but with DFC4 upgrade. However based on this link 

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/interfaces-modules/catalyst-6500-series-supervisor-engine-2t/qa_c67-648478.html

it will also support CFC. Now the question is, we have WS-X6724-SFP " WS-F6700-CFC Rev 4.1"  existing on the CORE and we want to upgrade to SUP engine SUP 6500 2T. Will  this "WS-X6724-SFP " WS-F6700-CFC Rev 4.1" line card still be supported with the new SUP engine? 

Thank you so much...

The answer, I believe, is yes.

I recall, the only 67xx card that will not work with a sup2T is the 6708, because it comes with a DFC3 that cannot be replaced (with the DFC4 or a CFC).

BTW, Reza mentions the sup and DFC XL feature needs to match, i.e. all non-XL or all XL. I also recall, sups and line cards DFCs XL or not don't actually need them to match to function, but when you mix them, your XLs function as non-XLs. (NB: I've supported chassis with a mix of non-XL and XL in them.) (I further recall, when they don't match, you need to power cycle the chassis when you add a line card with a DFC [to properly set it, and sup, to work correctly together]. Lastly, I recall if you have dual sups, I believe they do need to match.) Ideally, though, try to avoid mixing the two types in the same chassis. I also recall, you can, in some situations (excluding DFC4/supT gen), also mix different gens of sup and/or DFCs, but again, far from ideal and causes the chassis to operation at the LCD.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Cisco has released a new series of switches:  Catalyst 93009400 and 9500.

The 9300 will be the direct replacement of the 3650 & 3850. 

The 9400 will be the direct replacement for the entire 4K series, including 4500X. 

The 9500 will be the direct replacement for the entire 6K series, including 6500 and 6800 family of switches.  

Have a look at this to ensure the network investment isn't going to waste.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card