Views
Helpful
Replies

VSAT reference

dedydarmawan
Level 1
Level 1

hello all,

i'm new in networking. is there any vsat configuration reference or books from cisco like how we configure a vsat modem, and connect our router to connect to it? just for my home lab ; )

thank you,

dedy

4 Replies 4

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi

Afaik theres no config ref book for VSAT Modem,better u specifiy the modem model and the type of the modem so that others can help u out.

mmm hope u might hve got the manual for the same with the product.Also tell whts the o/p of the vsat modem which has to be connected to the router and the router model type u hve to get tht connected..

configuration depends upon the router interface type and also the connecitivity requirement.

regds

thank you for the reply,

i'm just wondering how it works. as far my understanding basically a VSAT modem works just like any external analog modem, right? and the VSAT dishes works just like wireline.

i'm wondering how the provider set the whole indoor/outdoor unit to the router, because i dont have the privilege to look at what they are doing.

thanks.

Hi,

Basically a VSAT modem behaves like a synchronous serial line modem. Many installed VSAT modems have V.35 interfaces on them but newer systems are more like a router/modem combo and can be directly connected to any LAN using an Ethernet connection, this is the case with the Hughes DirecWay system.

Check out this link about Hughes Spaceway

http://www.direcway.tv/spaceway.htm

Regards.

ok, just like any ordinary LAN/WAN connection. Set the outdor/indoor unit - plug to a serial line, configure it to connect to the internet and controlled by the NOC, and done.

thanks for the reply jaregalado ; )

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card