Views
Helpful
Replies

VSS-1440 MEC generated 100 to 400 mbps when connected

catalindominte
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I recently managed to migrate everything (200 racks) on a VSS cluster. At the moment all the racks except 1, are running only on one link, connected to switch 1 - Active switch.

I provisioned a new rack, and after the migration was completed, this is the first rack that I wanted to connecct to the VSS cluster, using both links.

When I connected the cable to switch 1, it generated a spike of 100 to 400 mbps, to all the other edge switches (non cisco) connected to switch 1. This spike lasted for 1 to 2 minutes, and then everything went back to normal. I included the rrd graph below.

I am really surprised that this happened, as the edge switch is configured with a port -channel, and the MEC is configured correctly as well.

Any-one else experienced the same issue?

Thanks

Catalin

spike.jpg

12 Replies 12

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Catalin,

What version of IOS are running in your VSS environment?

There are some nasty bugs in 12.2(33)SXI2.

HTH

Reza

Reza,

The VSS is running the SXI2a at the moment. Could this be caused by the firmware?

Catalin

Catalin,

SXI2a is pretty good. I would keep an eye on it to see if this happens again. Are all your edge switches connecting to VSS pair no Cisco?

Reza

Reza,

I am going to add another switch soon, and I will check if the same thing happens. Yes, all switches connected to the VSS are non Cisco.

Catalin

Are you using "mode on" on your etherchannels or "mode active" (lacp) ?

regards,

Geert

Geert,

I am using mode on for the etherchannels. I know the best practices for VSS configuration does not recomment this, but this is how it's been done until now.

Catalin

Catalin,

Just curious how would dual-active detection work in your environment since you have your EtherChannel as on and not desirable and since you are connecting your VSS to none Cisco devices.  Per 12.2SXI command reference guide only PAGP is supported

dual-active detection pagp trust channel-group xx

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/vswitch/command/reference/vs_01.html#wp1211249

Reza

Reza,

There is no Dual active link configured, as the two 6500 chassis are connected via 2 x 10G links. 1 link on the supervisor, and one link on a 6708 linecard.

Very little chance of both links going down at the same time.

But that is not the issue at the moment. I have no idea what causes that traffic spike.

Catalin

catalindominte
Level 1
Level 1

Just as an update, I added a LACP MEC to the VSS, and the same issue happened when cable number 1 was connected.

I will setup a SPAN session to see what is happening.

Catalin

catalindominte
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I solved the issue by filtering the VLAN's that are allowed on the trunk. Previously I allowed all vlan's through, and then connected the port. After a few tests, I captured the traffic that was sent and it was unicast, all of it.

After that, I filtered the VLAN's on the port channel, and this did not generate any traffic spikes. So the consequence is solved, but did not find the root cause.

Anyone has any ideas?

Catalin

Catalin,

Thanks for the update.  This is good info and another reason to allow anly specific VLANs needed on a trunk and not all VLANs.

Reza

Reza,

Yes indeed. Especially when the cluster has to handle about 800 vlans. .

If all vlans are allowed on 250 ports, actually 500 ports on 2 6509, it creates one virtual instance per vlan per physical interface. This is where information about the STP limits comes in handy .Check the actual usage by using show vlan virtual-interface command.

If the STP version can take 400.000 instances then it is fine. But for pvst+ the limit is 18.000 per chassis if running in standalone mode, and per cluster if running in VSS mode. Details about the other STP versions are listed on cisco website.

Now one can imagine the switching CPU usage when the virtual instance limit is over 20 times higher!!! Total chaos...

So never allow all vlans on the trunks, because it will bite back one day.

However, I cannot understand what happens exactly when all vlans are allowed through on one trunk, and all the other trunks are filtered?.. why does it generate the unicast flood?

Catalin

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco