Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VSS Activity

Hi All,

I have got a 4506 Switch which is UP and Running now.

Now we are introducing another 4506 With Sup 7LE, And purchased another Sup 7LE for Existing 4506 (Currently OLD 4506 is running with Sup 6E).

I would like to configure VSS in between those switches.

Below are the IOS Versions of Both Switches now.

SW1:

Cisco IOS Software, IOS-XE Software, Catalyst 4500 L3 Switch Software (cat4500e-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 03.05.03.E RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

ROM: 15.0(1r)SG10

SW2:

Cisco IOS Software, IOS-XE Software, Catalyst 4500 L3 Switch Software (cat4500e-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 03.07.03.E RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc3)

ROM: 15.0(1r)SG10

I wasn't noticed this, And Configured VSS - Then rebooted both the Switches. SW2 has came up with VSS Configuration where as SW1 has gone to ROMON Mode with following error.

Non-Redundant system or peer not running IOS
System Uplinks & Linecards have been reset!!

Could some one please help me to figure out what went wrong with in this case ? Shall i go for IOS upgrade on SW1 to match the other Switch(SW2) IOS ? 

And I am really worried about this FC1 vs FC3 - Will it make any difference ??

Thanks & Regards,

Prasanna Kumar Desireddy

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

This is probably the quickest reply i have ever had.

We try to help as much as we can :-)

Can i download IOS from SW2 and Upload it to SW1 ? Will that work ?

Yes, that is not an issue.  You can also download it from Cisco's Web site.

Actually, SW1 has LANBASE License. When we check with CISCO regarding IPBASE Licence, They have sent two licences - One for SUP Eng(Permanent IPBASE Licence) & Another one for Chassis (Temporary one).

Just install IP Base on both switches.  IP Base supports VSS and if you have the same exact license, you never need to worry about it anymore.

Do i need to install both the licences ? Or SUP Licence(Permanent IPBASE) can get this job Done ?

No, you just need to install IP Base on each sup.  That is it.

You would need to reboot the chassis after you install the new permanent license.

Once the chassis is rebooted, make sure the license is still the same before starting with VSS.

HTH

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Make sure both switches have the same exact IOS as well as license installed.

You may want to upgrade switch 1 to 03.07.03 and than run VSS again.

HTH

Thanks Reza,

Actually, SW1 has LANBASE License. When we check with CISCO regarding IPBASE Licence, They have sent two licences - One for SUP Eng(Permanent IPBASE Licence) & Another one for Chassis (Temporary one).

Do i need to install both the licences ? Or SUP Licence(Permanent IPBASE) can get this job Done ?

Thanks & Regards,

Prasanna Kumar Desireddy

Hi,

We try to help as much as we can :-)

Yes, that is not an issue.  You can also download it from Cisco's Web site.

Just install IP Base on both switches.  IP Base supports VSS and if you have the same exact license, you never need to worry about it anymore.

No, you just need to install IP Base on each sup.  That is it.

You would need to reboot the chassis after you install the new permanent license.

Once the chassis is rebooted, make sure the license is still the same before starting with VSS.

HTH

Thank you so much for this.

So, Licence wouldn't depends on Chassis ? Only related on SUP Engine ?

Thanks & Regards,

Prasanna Kumar Desireddy

So, Licence wouldn't depends on Chassis ? Only related on SUP Engine ?

That is correct.

HTH

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card