cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VSS and Routing

cowetacoit
Level 1
Level 1

I have a question about VSS and routed ports. We have a routed access layer with multi-homed L3 switches with L3 P2P links. We are wanting to implement VSS for all of our data center vlans on our two core switches but i was curious as to how VSS handles dual-homed L3 P2P links. Could somoene explain? I'm assuming it wouldn't affect the way it handles traffic and routing decisions to the access layer but i just want to be sure. Currently we have two Cores running HSRP and EIGRP. HSRP for DC vlans and EIGRP for the L3 P2Ps.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Cowetacoit,

you will not need the HSRP groups anymore with VSS the two C6500 boxes act as a  single box.

you will use EIGRP over routed links, for redundancy you will need two routed point to point links from each device to VSS in order to handle the fault event of a whole chassis in VSS

see VSS best practices

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps9336/products_tech_note09186a0080a7c837.shtml

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Cowetacoit,

you will not need the HSRP groups anymore with VSS the two C6500 boxes act as a  single box.

you will use EIGRP over routed links, for redundancy you will need two routed point to point links from each device to VSS in order to handle the fault event of a whole chassis in VSS

see VSS best practices

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps9336/products_tech_note09186a0080a7c837.shtml

Hope to help

Giuseppe

cowetacoit
Level 1
Level 1

Right, i understand VSS replaces first hop routing redund. I was just curious about the dual homed P2P links. Thanks, i'll check out the doc!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card