Views
Helpful
Replies

VSS, Cisco StackWise and Cisco StackWise Virtual

Julian Ortiz
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

I am pretty new in Cisco technology, and about this subjet I have seen many posts and sites, so it is quite confusing. Putting all together I can conclude the following:

1. VSS: Technology for stacking a pair of switches, which uses conventional 1/10G ports. Used in switches such as Catalyst 6500 and 4500.
  2. Cisco StackWise: Technology for stacking up to nine switches using propietary stacking modules and cables, therefore it is used within a closet. Used in switches such as 3750.
  3. Cisco StackWise Virtual: Very similar to VSS, is like an evolution. Because it also uses conventional 1/10G ports, it can use fiber links and achieve long distances, such as building a switch stack with a pair of chassis geographically distributed. It is also limited to two switches. Used in switches such as Catalyst 9000.

Am I correct? Missing anything?

Regards,

Julián

11 Replies 11

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You are correct in terms of understanding.

But point 3, StackWise virtual-only support Cat 9400 / 9500 / 9600 ( not all Cat 9000 series) also model 3850 (refer below guide)

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-9000/nb-06-cat-9k-stack-wp-cte-en.pdf

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-3850-series-switches/q-and-a-c67-738577.pdf

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi BB,

Thanks for the clarification. Few more things please:

• Is there any matrix which shows the relation of Cisco Catalyst family switches and their stacking technology supported?
  • So I understand there is no virtual stacking technology such VSS or StackWise Virtual, but which supports more than two switches?
  • Is there any reason by which core switches such as 6500 or 4500 doesn't support StackWise which allows for stacking more than two switches? Maybe because they are core switches where stacking more than two switches doesn't make much sense?

Regards,

Julián

@Julian Ortiz wrote:

Hi BB,

Thanks for the clarification. Few more things please:

• Is there any matrix which shows the relation of Cisco Catalyst family switches and their stacking technology supported?

BB - Not that i am ware any matrix, this required some home work.

• So I understand there is no virtual stacking technology such VSS or StackWise Virtual, but which supports more than two switches?

BB - SVL support 2 domains. ( but i have not tested)

• Is there any reason by which core switches such as 6500 or 4500 doesn't support StackWise which allows for stacking more than two switches? Maybe because they are core switches where stacking more than two switches doesn't make much sense?

BB - may be below presenetation of cisco Live help you more understanding and models

https://www.ciscolive.com/c/dam/r/ciscolive/emea/docs/2019/pdf/BRKCRS-2650.pdf

Regards,

Julián

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
VSS and Stackwise virtual are exactly the same. Stackwise Virtual is just a "marketing" term.
StackWise: Can stack up to 16 switches (Catalyst 9300 and 16.1X.X).

Hi Leo,

I was thinking exactly the same, VSS and StackWise virtual are the same thing.

About this:

StackWise: Can stack up to 16 switches (Catalyst 9300 and 16.1X.X).

Are you sure? According to the "Stack Manager and High Availability Configuration Guide, Cisco IOS XE Gibraltar 16.11.x (Catalyst 9300 Switches)":

Cisco Catalyst 9300 switch stack can have up to eight stacking-capable switches connected through their StackWise-480 ports. Cisco Catalyst 9300L switch stack connect through their StackWise-320 ports.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst9300/software/release/16-11/configuration_guide/stck_mgr_ha/b_1611_stck_mgr_ha_9300_cg/managing_switch_stacks.html#reference_end_y5h_11b

Regards,

Julian

@Julian Ortiz wrote:

Are you sure? According to the "Stack Manager and High Availability Configuration Guide, Cisco IOS XE Gibraltar 16.11.x (Catalyst 9300 Switches)":

See for yourself:  Go HERE

Well, thanks for the link but that website seems not very trustworthy to me. I would trust better the official "Stack Manager and High Availability Configuration Guide, Cisco IOS XE Gibraltar 16.11.x" information. Furthermore, if I want to configure more than 8 of these switches in a stack and something goes wrong, the TAC is going to pay attention to such guide first.

Regards,

Julián

@Julian Ortiz wrote:

thanks for the link but that website seems not very trustworthy to me.

Website may not be trustworthy but screenshot is my switch.  

Hi Leo,

This is interesting as I don't see anywhere in the release note any reference to 16 switches. It still refers to StackWise 480 which is a max of 8. 

Release notes:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst9300/software/release/16-11/release_notes/ol-16-11-9300.html#concept_ej4_xc1_mgb

Reza

@Reza Sharifi wrote:

This is interesting as I don't see anywhere in the release note any reference to 16 switches

I've seen features added/removed and didn't appear in the Release Notes (even when I asked TAC to update the RN).  

Sadly, Cisco's (quality of) documentation is not a "priority" right now.  

Another thing to consider is that this could be a "new" feature that is not fully enabled in 16.X.X but will, progressively, be enabled when Amsterdam-17.X.X starts to drop (before the end of 2019).  

I don't have any resources to test if I can stack >9 switches.  

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card