Views
Helpful
Replies

VSS Cisco WS-C4507R+E (MPC8572) is unexpected reload

lecuong
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

We are using two Cisco WS-C4507R+E switches and configured VSS SSO mode. Everything worked very stably after configuration.

But about six months, they usually are reloaded one of them, the active VSS switch is auto reload and the standby VSS switch will take switchover to the active role. This issue occurs repetitively every 2 months.

We had configured log to Graylog system and get info as below. This log message is sent to Graylog before they take switchover.

issues-cisco-4507.JPG

And "show switch virtual redundancy" command:

issues-cisco-4507_02.JPG

- "show memory" command:

issues-cisco-4507_05.JPG

- "show version" command:

issues-cisco-4507_03.JPGissues-cisco-4507_04.JPG

Currently, we have not found a solution to this problem.  

We greatly appreciate your ideas.

Thanks & Best Regards, 

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Upgrade the IOS. The symptoms described sounds like a memory leak.

Thanks for your prompt response. Have you ever experienced a similar case before? This is important because we don't have spare equipment to replace in case of upgraded firmware failure. This is very critical and will affect the whole business of our company. 

If possible, would you suggest any firmware version that works stable on these devices? Please advise, much appreciated your help. 

Thanks for your sharing, Andi.

Thanks for your feedback AndiBuckmann, I don't have any experience about VSS license on Catalyst 4500 Supervisor Engine 7-E.  I checked with "show version" command on current IOS, Our license VSS level: ipbase. Type: Permanent.
issues-cisco-4507_06.JPG

Does the license still available after upgrading to the new firmware? Do we need to backup/export license and import later or we need to do anything with the license? 

Expect people to help.

Thanks,

Hi Leo Laohoo,

I have exported file contain "show tech-support" command information.

Could you help me find out this problem due to memory leak?

Thanks for your sharing and advice,

Please upgrade the firmware. The chassis is running 3.5.2 and it was last released in 2014.
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card