Replies

VSS in 4506 Switches with 1 GB uplinks instead of 10 GB

Hello Guys,

I have question based on Virtual switching system 4500 series switch

Hardware available

1. Two 4506-E series switches
  2. Two Supervisor Engine SUP7-E  one on each switch
  3. IOS image is CAT 4500e SUP7-E/SUP7L-E universal image
  4. Two 1 GB SFP and multimode fiber cables.

I read in the document that Ten GB SFP module is required to implement VSS in 4500 series switch. Will it be possible to implement VSS with the above mentioned avaiable hardware. I am concerned about the 1GB SFP module whether its possible to implement VSS with it or not.

Please advise. Do i need 10 GB SFP module or i can also use 1GB SFP module. Below is the bill of quantities what we ordered to Cisco.

WS-C4506-E

Cat4500 E-Series 6-Slot Chassis  fan  no ps

CON-SNTP-C4506E

SMARTNET 24X7X4 Cat4500 E-Series 6-Slot Chassis fan no

CAB-CON-C4K-RJ45

Console Cable 6ft with RJ-45-to-RJ-45

WS-X45-SUP7-E

Catalyst 4500 E-Series Supervisor 848Gbps

WS-X4748-RJ45-E

Catalyst 4500 E-Series 48-Port 10/100/1000 Non-Blocking

WS-X4624-SFP-E

Catalyst 4500 E-Series 24-Port GE (SFP)

GLC-SX-MMD

1000BASE-SX SFP transceiver module MMF 850nm DOM

S45EU-33-1511SG

CAT4500e SUP7-E/SUP7L-E Universal Image

PWR-C45-1400AC

Catalyst 4500 1400W AC Power Supply (Data Only)

CAB-BS1363-C19-UK

BS-1363 to IEC-C19 14ft UK

PWR-C45-1400AC/2

Catalyst 4500 1400W AC Power Supply Redundant(Data Only)

C4500E-IPB

Paper IP Base License

Reply in this regards will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Fazal

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You CAN create a VSS using VLs created from 1 Gbps ports Per Cisco, "The VSL EtherChannel supports both 10-Gigabit Ethernet ports and 1- Gigabit Ethernet ports." (source)

It's not recommended though as you run a very good chance of saturating the link and dropping packets. Your Supervisor 7-E cards have 4 each 10 Gbps ports. The recommended approach would be to bond a pair (or more) of them into the VSL.

You can use fiber transceivers and multimode jumpers or - my personal preference for close-in 10 Gbps connections - the 1, 3, or 5m twinax transceiver assembly. They are much more economical. Supported 10 Gbps transceivers are listed here.

View solution in original post

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

I would agree with Marvin, if possible, use at least a pair of 10g ports on the sups.

Remember, if you lose a line card in the chassis, all other traffic ingressing on that device, that wanted to egress on the failed card, will now go across the VSL, perhaps up to 48 Gbps.  So even a pair of 10g might be overloaded.

Besides twinax you might also look at 10GB-T to keep transceiver costs down.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You CAN create a VSS using VLs created from 1 Gbps ports Per Cisco, "The VSL EtherChannel supports both 10-Gigabit Ethernet ports and 1- Gigabit Ethernet ports." (source)

It's not recommended though as you run a very good chance of saturating the link and dropping packets. Your Supervisor 7-E cards have 4 each 10 Gbps ports. The recommended approach would be to bond a pair (or more) of them into the VSL.

You can use fiber transceivers and multimode jumpers or - my personal preference for close-in 10 Gbps connections - the 1, 3, or 5m twinax transceiver assembly. They are much more economical. Supported 10 Gbps transceivers are listed here.

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

I would agree with Marvin, if possible, use at least a pair of 10g ports on the sups.

Remember, if you lose a line card in the chassis, all other traffic ingressing on that device, that wanted to egress on the failed card, will now go across the VSL, perhaps up to 48 Gbps.  So even a pair of 10g might be overloaded.

Besides twinax you might also look at 10GB-T to keep transceiver costs down.

Thanks Joseph & Marvin for valueable replies. I will use the two 10 GB uplink for VSS.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card