cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VSS Live Migration of VSL Link from 10GE to 40GE

HUBERT RESCH
Level 3
Level 3

We operate some VSS-Bundles with SUP2T (the VSL Link consists of 2 to 4 10GE-Interfaces)

Now we plan to change the VSL-Link to 2 40GE Interfaces.

The VSL-Link Portchannel is configured in mode on. Because we do not have a real Maintenance-window I am looking for a method how to achive this with any significant Service-Interruption.

So my plan would be to disconnect all 10GE-Links of the VSL-Port-Channel except one. Then I would add at least one 40GE Interface to the Port-channel, of cource the 40GE Interface will no be bundeled to

The Port-channel it will remain suspended because of different speed.

After disconnecting the last 10GE-Link in the Portchannel the 40GE interface will not be longer suspended because now it’s the only Interface in the Portchannel and the Portchannel would be up and running after a very short downtime (I assume less than 1 second)

Could this work like I planned, is this a recommended/supported way to migrate ?

Thanks in Advance

Hubert

2 Replies 2

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Still won't work, Hubert.  

When you switch to a different speed, the etherchannel will go down.  During the switchover from 10 Gbps to 40 Gbps, you'll need about 5 minutes outage for the physical and configuration change to kick in.

You might want to try to distract them by pointing to a direction and say, "Isn't that Kate Upton?" and when their heads are turned, you swap the connection.  laugh

Tried with "normal" Portchannel which is not VSL Link , had less than 1 Second outage

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card