cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VSS: provide redundancy for Links, Line Cards, or both?

umamon
Level 1
Level 1

I have a quick question.  I have a VSS (pair of 6506 with Sup 720-10G) with a dual connection to each IDFs.  On the Core Switch side the there's a papg connection on gi1/2/3 and gi2/2/3.  that is connected to the IDF switch gi0/1 and gi0/2.  If link (fiber cut for an example) fails gi1/2/3 fails on the core side, will the IDF still remain up using the gi2/2/3 port?

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Assuming the VSS in your distro/core layer and the IDF is a switch.  Ports gi1/2/3 and 2/2/3 should be in portchannel for use of ePAGP.  If that is the case, than a link failure will not bring down the etherchannel.  This is all if I understand you question correctly.

HTH

Yes they are all switches.  So the etherchannel will remain up and the and connectivity will be stable? 

That is correct.  As long as you have more than one interface in that Etherchannel, you will be fine if one interface fails.

Thanks so much for your response!!.  I will be shutting down one interface to test.  we have to test fiber strands because we are rerouting the path way and want to pretest to make sure all is good before the contractors get started.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card