Views
Helpful
Replies

VSS Reconfiguration on Catalyst 6509

jahanzaib amin
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Team,

I would like to know about the reconfiguration of VSS on Catalyst 6509. VSS is already running but we need to reconfigure it on other ports.

Currently Its is running on the VS-S720-10G Supervisor 2x10-G ports but we need to reconfigure it on other 10G ports.

We want to Configure VSS on 1 Port of 10Gbase-LX4 and 1 Port of 10Gbase-SR Transceiver.

We thing I want to clarify with Experts:

1: How to break the Current VSS on both Catalyst 6509

2: I know we can run the VSS on 2 Different ports but what about if both Transceiver are different

3: In my case I want to run the VSS on 1 port 10Gbase-SR  and 1 Port 10Gbase-LX4 transceiver

Here is Detail about the Line Cards where I want to Run VSS

VS-S720-10G      (10Gbase-SR Transceiver)

WS-X6704-10GE (10Gbase-LX4 Transceiver)

Thanks,

JH

6 Replies 6

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

1: How to break the Current VSS on both Catalyst 6509

You don't need to break both VSL links.  You can break one at the time.

2: I know we can run the VSS on 2 Different ports but what about if both Transceiver are different

It does not matter when the transceivers are different.  You can run one link using Multi-mode optic and one link single mode optic. 

3: In my case I want to run the VSS on 1 port 10Gbase-SR  and 1 Port 10Gbase-LX4 transceiver

It will work just fine.  There is no issue with your config.  As long as the links are configured as VSL, the switch does not care if the optic is short haul, long haul, etc...

HTH

Hello Reza,

thanks, You said I can break one at the time. But what is the command to break this?

JH

Hi,

There is no command.  You have 2 VSL links (each 10Gig) right?

Disconnect the one you want from the Sup and connect it to the line card and since you have 2 10Gig, there is no down time.

HTH

Hi,

How I can connect to another 10G port while there is Port-Channel on 2 10G Ports on SUP? 

JH

That is ok.  The physical ports are part of the Porchannel.

So, lets say ports te1/5/4 and 1/5/5 on switch 1 and ports te2/5/4 and 2/5/5 are part of portchannel 10

and now you want to remove 1/5/5 and 2/5/5 from the portchannel.

go under each physical interface and do this command:

no channel-group 10 mode on

this will remove ports 1/5/5 and 2/5/5 from po10 while 1/5/4 and 2/5/4 are not effected.

now you can add whatever new interface from the blade you want to po10 to replace the once you removed.

lets say you want to add interface te1/2/1 and 2/2/1

under the interface add this command

channel-group 10 mode on

HTH

Hello Experts,

Waiting for the reply for the command to know how to break the current VSS in between Two 6509?

Thanks,

JH

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card