cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VSS - vPC L3 MEC connectivity

sal-mahmood1
Level 1
Level 1

Is  VSS - vPC-switches  connectivity with single L3-MEC supported? Or I have to do  2 MECs to VSS from vPVC-switches (one from each vPC switch)?

7 Replies 7

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes, you need 2.  That is one /30 for each VPC switch.

HTH

Thanks for the answer.

This means I will need to have 4 wan links for two MECs between VSS and vPC (my VSS and vPCs are few miles apart).

Correct.  You need 4 links between the VSS and the 2 VPC switches (Nexus). You would need to create 2 layer-3 Portchannels (say 2 and 3) Po2 will be on one VPC switch and Po3 on the other one. Each Portchannel has 2 physical links which connect to both VSS switches.

HTH

Do you know what is the reason for this restriction on the single-mec between vPC and VSS? vPC-to-vPC, vss-to-vss do not have this restriction. My understanding was that VSS-mec and vPC do not care about what is on the other side of the port-channel.

Two different technologies. VSS act as one device with one brain controlling both chassis.  With VPC, they are 2 different boxes and 2 brains. That is why with VPC you still need to run VRRP, HSRP, if they are the end devices gateways, but that is not needed for VSS.

HTH

I really appreciate you quick reply. Than you.

Does it mean if configure single mec between vss-to-vPC and put the mec in an SVI and then run HSRP on the vPC side it will work?

I am not sure, as I have never deployed it that way.  You could certainly try it in the lab and if it works test the fail over.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card