Views
Helpful
Replies

VSS with more than 2 physical switchs ?

florian7683
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I am looking for documentation to implement VSS with more than 2 physical switchs( 4500)  ?

I thought it was possible but all documentions i read  show only  examples with 2 swiths.

In my environnement , i have 3 distribution switchs. I d like to virtualize these 3 physicals switchs to one loigcal.

Does anybody experiencied that ?

Thanks

9 Replies 9

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As far as I know you can't do that ie. you can only use a pair of physical switches in a VSS setup.

Jon

thanks, i have to find antoher way to do it :)

How many devices are you attempting to do?

6 switchs, i think to make a stack with ethernet ( if its possible ) beceause they are not closed.

You could create 3 x VSS pairs as an alternative and create port channels between these different VSS domains.

This was the route I was going to suggest, create large port-channels (40-80g) between and you shouldn't even notice they aren't stacked!

Hi,

I thought about this alternative, but my goal is much  more to simplify the layer 2 architecture, avoiding loops,  and so simplify spanningtree tunning.

IS ethernet stacking possible instead dedicated stackwise cables ?

You mean like a 3850 switch stack that hosts 6 x switches appearing as one virtual switch?

No, that is no supported by the 4500.

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As Jon noted, the max is 2 regardless of what platform you are using.

HTH

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card