Views
Helpful
Replies

VSS with SUP 2T - VSL Links

abhisar patil
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

I have two sup2T, one in each 6500E chassis. I need to understand about portchannel for VSL. I have seen some configuration with one portchannel for both 10G link as a singal VSL and some configuration with two different portchannel with two VSL. So what is the recommended configuration and advantage.

Thank You,

Abhisar.

21 Replies 21

Abishar

You are right when you say generally you use the same port channel number on both ends of an etherchannel link. But that is with standalone switches. The key thing with VSS is that the config from both switches is merged into one configuration fille.

So if you configured switch 1 with port channel 1 then how can you configure switch 2 with port channel 1 as well because when the configs are merged you now have two port channels using the same number.

Jon

Hi Jon, Abishar

You guys are both correct.

This is the only case that portchnnel numbers are different.  For switch-1 po1 and for switch-2 po2.  I know, it is confusing, as people think they are building 2 different portchannels, but in actuality it is one with 2 different numbers.

When you build your portchannles from the access switches to your VSS pair, they can use the same number on both sides just like any other portchannel.

HTH

From the Campus Design Guide document -

The VSL bundle is a special-purpose port channel. Each standalone switch is required to be configured with unique port-channel interface numbers; before assigning a port-channel number, you must make sure that the port-channel interface number is not used by an existing standalone configuration on either switch.

full link -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/solutions/Enterprise/Campus/VSS30dg/VSS-dg_ch2.html

Jon

Dear Jon/Reza,

Now its clear to me :). Also, document was helpful.

Thank you Guys.

Abhisar.

Dear Jon/Reza,

Addtion to this, what I understood is, VSS is for SUP engine. In case my line card fail on one chassis, I should have other connectivity for redundancy.

As I have two firewalls in failover, so I will be connecting this two firewall to different chassis.

ex. Active FW port to Gi1/3/1 and Passive FW port to Gi2/3/1. Both ports will be in same vlan and I will create one L3 vlan interface which will be gateway for firewalls.

Thank You,

Abhisar.

Abishar

Yes, you want your firewalls connected to different chassis in case -

1) the supervisor fails in one of the chassis in which case all linecards/modules in that chassis will be unavailable

or

2) the linecard the firewall is connected to fails

You would set it up exactly as you have described.

Jon

Dear Jon,

Thank you to confirm the same

Thank You,

Abhisar.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: