Views
Helpful
Replies

VTP Domain name change on 6509

network_user
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have two switches(6509 and 2950) in my network which have same vtp domain name. They are not directly connected via a trunk and so they did not exchange VTP updates all this time. However I need to change the vtp domain on 6509, so that I can avoid VTP updates getting exchanged between these two if somehow a device brings up a trunk between the two. I am trying to find out the effects it will have if I change the vtp domain name on 6509.

Does it erase the vlan database config after domain name change?

Does the config rev # set to 0 after the domain name change?

Can I do this change in live network?

Is there any other thing I should be concerned about?

OR, If I setup a password on one of the switches, they should not exchange VTP updates. Would this be more preferrable?

Thank you.

9 Replies 9

rahurao
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Network User,

When you make a change to the VLAN configuration on a VTP server, the change is propagated to all switches in the VTP domain. You need to make sure that the Switch is in server mode or in transparent mode.

How many switches are there in the same VTP domain?

What is the VTP mode on the switch?

HTH

Rahul

Hello Rahul,

Thanks for your response. When I do sh cdp nei de on 6509, there is no switch with the same VTP domain name, most of them have VTP domain as "unknown" and few have different domain names. Only switch I am aware of having the same domain is not directly connected to this switch and to which I dont want 6509 switch to send updates(reason for me to change the domain name). Eventhough I think there is no other switch in the network with same domain, I may not be 100% sure.

VTP mode on 6509 is "server"

Would setting up a VTP password on 6509 be less risker than changing the domain, in order to make sure 6509 and 2950 do not exchange updates?

Hi Network User,

Thanks for remaining information!

Just one more thing can you also tell me the VTP mode on the 2950 switch.

HTH

Rahul

VTP mode on 2950 switch is also "server".

I have never tested it, but I think it is to radical to have multiple domains if you do not want to have vlan changes propagated throughout of network. I would suggest you just to use transparent mode on all switches and keep it at that.

Hi,

Changing the VTP mode to transparent on the switches removes the switch out of VTP as VTP transparent switches do not participate in VTP. A VTP           transparent switch does not advertise its VLAN configuration and does not           synchronize its VLAN configuration based on received advertisements, but           transparent switches do forward VTP advertisements that they receive out their           trunk ports in VTP Version 2.

Hope this helps.

Please rate if you find content useful

Regards,

Swati

Hi Network User,

Go ahead and change the doain name and the VTP updates will not be propagated.

HTH

Rahul

Hello Rahul,

My only concern is that if I change domain name it will reset the configuration rev# to 0. And if at all there is any other switch which is exchanging updates with 6509 (which I am not aware of) then that switch will replace vlan database of 6509. And there will be no way for me to change rev# of 6509 back to where it was.. right?

so would setting up a VTP password be a safer route?

Hi,

Why don't you change the domain name on the 2950? From the description of your network it seems less risky.

Scott

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: