cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VTP domain split into two...

jclj
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I have a network where all of the vlan ip address are on the core (6509) switch and VTP replicates the vlans to other switches connected to the core. What I would like to do is move some vlans onto a lab (4506) switch and break VTP into two domains. Currently, the lab switch is connected as a trunk and has a static route of 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 to the core. The interface is configured as a switchport.

My questions:

1. since the port on the lab to core switch is configured as a switchport it's not routing, correct? So I can change it to "no switchport" and add an ip address to the interface and then configure ospf for dynamic routing.

2. Will this, effectively, create/separate my VTP domain?

3. Do you see any issues with this?

Thanks

5 Replies 5

ahmedshoaib
Level 4
Level 4

Hi;

Please find the answer below as per your queries:

1- Switchport indicate that your port configured as L2. With "no switchport" command port become L3 then assign IP address and run routing protocol (static or dynamic) to exchange routes.

2-Via task-1 you not only segregate VTP domain you can also divide your network in multiple routing domain and need to run routing protocol to exchange routes.

3- I don't see any issue. It's total depend on network requirement.

Thanks & Best regards;

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages wha2tsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

#1 You can route across switch ports that are access or trunk using SVIs.  However, as VTP replication needs a trunk, changing the port to a routed port will block the VTP replication.

#2 Yes, although it can also be blocked by the devices on the two sides of a trunk being in different VTP domains (which I would recommend regardless whether you reconfigure the port or not).

#3 Yes, if you don't change your lab's VTP domain, and you're using VTP versions 1 or 2, you're setting yourself up for the classical accidental "zap" of your prod VTP domain.  (Even if you do use a different VTP domain for the lab, be very careful in how you add VTP devices to your VTP domains, especially a prod VTP domain.  Recommend you read up on the proper/recommended procedure.)

jclj
Level 1
Level 1

"#3 Yes, if you don't change your lab's VTP domain, and you're using VTP versions 1 or 2, you're setting yourself up for the classical accidental "zap" of your prod VTP domain.  (Even if you do use a different VTP domain for the lab, be very careful in how you add VTP devices to your VTP domains, especially a prod VTP domain.  Recommend you read up on the proper/recommended procedure.)"

This is exactly what I'm worried about. As long as I make it a layer 3 port VTP won't cross the link and I should be ok, right? I can change the VTP domain on the lab switches later?

Hi;

VTP is L2 Technology, it will not cross the L3 domain. If you configure the port b/w Production & Lab as L3 then you need to do routing b/w both network.

Thanks & Best regards;

Correct.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card