Views
Helpful
Replies

VTP domain

JackinJain0870
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a switch stack 3750E which is VTP server and there are other switches connected from this stack. Other switches are VTP client but one of them is on the different domain than the VTP server. That switch has VLAN configured but I wanted to ask if I change VTP domain on the switch that is different than the server to match it with the VTP server, will any config change on the switch in regards to VTP or VLAN? 

I have little diagram to help understand. Switch (VTP Domain: cisco12) needs to be changed to VTP domain cisco. 

Switch Stack-----------------------------------Switch

(VTP domain: cisco)                                                    (VTP domain: cisco12)

Thank you for all the help. 

4 Replies 4

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You need to be very careful, highest revision will be overwrite with database.

1. set the other switch that you want to configure as VTP server to revision number 0.

2. Once the new switch is set to the same VTP domain name with revision number 0 and configured as VTP server, connect it to the LAN. This way it will inherit all the VTP settings along with the new configuration revision number.

Suggest to do this changes in maintenance window and take the backup configuration out of the box.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
First this isn't VTP ver. 3, right?

it depends your cisco12 domain switch has a trunk to an "active" cisco domain switch. If so, if you change the domain on the cisco12 domain switch to the cisco domain, that will reset the rev number and then that switch should sync up with your cisco VTP domain (this also assumes you have a match on the VTP password).

BTW, would suggest you insure you don't have multiple VTP domain cisco servers configured (which works fine, but risks allowing more than once VTP change to be injected into the VTP domain as the same time).

What if I just change cisco12 domain which is on client mode right now to server mode, will that change and VLAN config?

If all you is change from client to server mode, or the converse, it only determines whether that device will accept VLAN configuration commands.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card