Views
Helpful
Replies

vtp in nexus switch for vlans

suthomas1
Level 6
Level 6

Hi,

We want to cascade two nexus 5K switches together. I believe, this is possible. But, do we need to enable anything specifically before trunking these two together?

Is there some special configuration to do the trunking of two nexus switches or normal port channel on both ends would do the job?

essentially the second 5k will act as an edge switch for getting more ports.

Appreciate all advise.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes, you can do normal trunking between the n5ks. Configure all the vlans on each N5K, the recommendation for VTP mode is off or transparent.

HTH,

Lei Tia

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Lei Tian
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Nothing special needs to be done, If you want trunk between 2 N5K, and run spanning tree. Alternatively, you can run vPC between the N5K, which allows you do multi-chassis etherchannel to the host.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps9441/ps9670/configuration_guide_c07-543563.html

HTH,

Lei Tian

Thanks Lei.

We do not want to run vPC for now. Can we just trunk both switches using normal etherchannel configurations?

My worry is how would the vlans configured on the first N5K propagate to the second N5k?

Yes, you can do normal trunking between the n5ks. Configure all the vlans on each N5K, the recommendation for VTP mode is off or transparent.

HTH,

Lei Tia

I believe you can run vtp client/server if you but can't say I have tried it on these boxes.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card