Helpful
Replies

VTP MD5 digest length

amharsaputra
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Here is an image of VTP summary advertisement packet format taken from

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk689/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094c52.shtml#vtp_msg

Summary Advert Packet Format.gif

We can see the MD5 digest field is 16 bytes.

Now here is a sample output of "show vtp status"

VTP MD5 digest.jpg

Notice the MD5 digest (highlighted). I know "0x" is just a prefix for hexadecimal numbers. One hexadecimal character equals to 4 bits, two hexadecimal characters equal to 8 bits (1 byte). There is only 16 hexadecimal characters there, so just 8 bytes in total is shown in the output. But the Cisco documentation states the MD5 digest is 16 bytes long. So why is there only 8 bytes shown in MD5 digest in "show vtp status"?

Regards,

Putra

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Arumugam Muthaiah
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Amhar,

Alain said right option. I would like add some more detail,

• Message Digest 5 (MD5) carries the VTP password, if MD5 is configured and used to authenticate the validation of a VTP update.
  • VTP takes the VTP domain name into account when calculating the VTP MD5 hash
  • The MD5 hash of a null (default) password. If you debug, you see like below data,

Log:

03:51:51: VTP LOG RUNTIME: Transmit vtp summary, domain CCIE, rev 11, followers 0, tlv blk size 8 (inc #tlv field),
   MD5 digest calculated = E1 92 86 29 E9 A5 D0 CC 6F 89 32 34 21 A0 C4 6D

Regards,

Aru

*** Please if this post is useful ***

Regards, Aru *** Please rate if the post useful ***

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

can you put wireshark into action and see how it is encoded in the advertisement ?

Regards.

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Arumugam Muthaiah
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Amhar,

Alain said right option. I would like add some more detail,

• Message Digest 5 (MD5) carries the VTP password, if MD5 is configured and used to authenticate the validation of a VTP update.
  • VTP takes the VTP domain name into account when calculating the VTP MD5 hash
  • The MD5 hash of a null (default) password. If you debug, you see like below data,

Log:

03:51:51: VTP LOG RUNTIME: Transmit vtp summary, domain CCIE, rev 11, followers 0, tlv blk size 8 (inc #tlv field),
   MD5 digest calculated = E1 92 86 29 E9 A5 D0 CC 6F 89 32 34 21 A0 C4 6D

Regards,

Aru

*** Please if this post is useful ***

Regards, Aru *** Please rate if the post useful ***

amharsaputra
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Alain and Aru,

Thank you for your responses.

I put the Wireshark into action and here is the result:

The switch that I sniffed:

The result of wireshark sniff:

So apparently Cisco only show the first 8 bytes (out of 16 bytes) of MD5 digest from "show vtp status". But the actual length is really 16 bytes as shown in the Wireshark.

Furthermore, I just found out that on newer Catalyst IOS, "show vtp status" will show the whole 16 bytes of MD5 digest. Here is a sample:

Thank you Alain for leading me to use Wireshark.

Thank you Aru for further details and sample debug output.

Regards,

Putra

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card