cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VTP mode Transparent

libra_ali786
Level 1
Level 1

I have 3 swirches are connected in a series . First one in VTP Serve , in the middle have VTP Transparent mode and last one is Client mode. When i create any new vlan at server it sync with the Client. One of my users are connected at Server and Client switches are part of new vlan. When i try to ping each other it failed. When i check my trunk port on the transparent switch the new vlan was not listed. How i will deal that situation?

Please Explain with little detail about tranparent mode.

Thanks

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,

Assuming you are using VTP version 2, a switch in transparent mode will not sync its VLAN database with the server, but it will forward the VTP messages.

In you scenario, the switch in transparent mode is not aware of the new VLAN, so does not process the tagged frame when it receives it on the trunk link.

Either manually configure the VLAN, or put the switch in client mode.

cheers,

Seb.

View solution in original post

Deepak Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

VTP transport mode will not participating in VTP and as there is no VLAN available on middel switch so traffic is also getting blocked. You have create a VLAN on middle switch and allowed on the trunk ports.

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,

Assuming you are using VTP version 2, a switch in transparent mode will not sync its VLAN database with the server, but it will forward the VTP messages.

In you scenario, the switch in transparent mode is not aware of the new VLAN, so does not process the tagged frame when it receives it on the trunk link.

Either manually configure the VLAN, or put the switch in client mode.

cheers,

Seb.

Deepak Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

VTP transport mode will not participating in VTP and as there is no VLAN available on middel switch so traffic is also getting blocked. You have create a VLAN on middle switch and allowed on the trunk ports.

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!

Thanks for the quick reply. Know i understand the transparent mode working.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card