Join Customer Connection to register!
Views
Helpful
Replies
maham_TR1999
Beginner

VTP switch change vlan ID 50+routers

Hi

One client of mine has a network of 50+ switches with vtp version 2.

Now he wants to change his VLAN ID, I know that i could propagate the VLAN via vtp.

But is there any form to change all the switches config automatically, to make the switch change the VLANID on the access ports and trunks in the config or the switches?

or should i configure every of them manually?

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame Expert

Hi,

But is there any form to change all the switches config automatically, to make the switch change the VLANID on the access ports and trunks in the config or the switches?

VTP will not change the access port configs. You would have to change those manually   The only thing VTP does is to propagate the new vlan from the vtp servers switch to all vtp clients switches.  VTP is usually used in large environments, where you have 100s of vlans and you don't want to configure them per switch. If you only have a few vlans, there is no need for VTP.  Just configure the new vlans on all switches and change the access ports from the old vlan to the new vlan.

HTH

As Reza mentioned vtp will not change the configuration of the switches. For this situation you need to get a NCM software (Network Configuration Manager) I think Cisco Prime includes NCM.

A NCM will help you to execute partial or full configurations on the selected devices automatically and scheduled.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/technologies/tk869/tk769/technologies_white_paper0900aecd806c0d88.html

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/net_mgmt/prime/network/change_and_configuration_management/2-0/user/guide/PrimeNetwork38_ChangeConfigMgmt_Guide/config.html

Please rate the comment if it is useful  :-)

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<