Views
Helpful
Replies

VTP vlan misconfigured

Levante86
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone, 
I would like to tell you about my case. I have a 2950 connected to the network through a trunk port (fa0 / 48), the other active port is fa0 /1 in vlan200. The port has always worked well.

Suddenly, we lost connectivity with the host (PC) on Fa0/1. Using the "show mac-add" we saw the mac, but the ping doesent work.

We went on the switch with our pc. We have made ​​some tests, simulating with different addresses of vlan 200 and dhcp. We realized that the problem occurred with some vlan and not with others (until then everything had gone ok).

After several hours we decided to cancel (connect in consolle cable) the vlan.dat in flash, regenerate the vtp (and revision) and reconnect the port in trunk(fa0/48).

At the moment we reconnected the fa0 / 48 the vlan.dat is recreated and the problems are gone. 

My question is this: this may be a corruption of that vlan.dat that does not allow proper operation and therefore should be regenerated? thanks to all

2 Replies 2

Rajeev Sharma
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hey,

Regarding your question: this may be a corruption of that vlan.dat that does not allow proper operation and therefore should be regenerated? - Indeed its possible as corruption of vlan.dat may have removed vlan 200 from vlan database hence you were unable to access the resources, while recreating it resolved the issue.

HTH.

Regards,

RS.

hi rajeevsh, tnks for the answer

and why vlan.dat is corrupt? depends on what?, it's an hw problem or IOS problem? i can prevent it?

more info:

while performing the test, with "show vlan" command the vlan200 was present, from remote connection to the switch (via ssh) mi collegue  saw the mac with (show mac-address table int fa0/1) and was able to convert in a ip add via sh | arp include on core switch. But the pc not working in vlan 200 or 220 but working very well in vlan 9.

A very strange situation, the first for me.

thank you for your time

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card