cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VTP with no vlan1

jason.henderson
Level 1
Level 1

Can vtp function in a network where vlan1 has been shutdown?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Jason

You can shut down the vlan 1 L3 SVI (Switched Virtual Interface) and you can clear vlan 1 from all trunks but Cisco switches will still use vlan for most management traffic. I say most as DTP actually uses the native vlan which may or may not be vlan 1.

But CDP/PaGP/VTP all still use vlan 1 regardless of what you do on the switch. By shutting down vlan 1 interface and clearing off trunks you are effectively disabling vlan 1 from being used for end devices or to manage the switch but as i say this has no effect on the majority of Cisco management traffic.

Hence the reason VTP still works.

Jon

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

a.cruea1980
Level 3
Level 3

Yes.

I wish I could go farther into detail on this, but I'm not that great with VTP and it's options. I just know I have VLAN 1 shut down at home and VTP still works.

I do know, though, that you can change the interface it sends out it's updates over with the "vtp interface" command.

Cheers for that, i thought that it must still be able to work but i'm not sure how. Will need to look into it a bit more.

Jason.

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Jason

You can shut down the vlan 1 L3 SVI (Switched Virtual Interface) and you can clear vlan 1 from all trunks but Cisco switches will still use vlan for most management traffic. I say most as DTP actually uses the native vlan which may or may not be vlan 1.

But CDP/PaGP/VTP all still use vlan 1 regardless of what you do on the switch. By shutting down vlan 1 interface and clearing off trunks you are effectively disabling vlan 1 from being used for end devices or to manage the switch but as i say this has no effect on the majority of Cisco management traffic.

Hence the reason VTP still works.

Jon

Thanks Jon, much appreciated.

Jason.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card